1971-'73 340 blocks: Is one of these yours?

-

NoCar340

The Original Partstitute
Reaction score
I have several 340 blocks, none of which belong to any of my cars. Four are "untouchable" because they're either in use, being built, or I know the car's fate. The other six? If one matches your VIN, let's get car and chassis reunited. If you're searching for something '68-'70, keep looking--the oldest VIN I have is a '71. I did my best to get clear pictures of all of the numbers, but some are just weak stampings.

In no particular order, here they are.

Block #1: I know nothing of this block. I bought it from a CL ad in Central WI several years ago. Casting date 1/8/73.

100_4951.JPG

Block #2: I the story I was told about this block is that the original car (I was told a Duster) was rolled. The seller pulled it from his sister's Duster, which had died by fire. Retrieved from NE Wisconsin.

Note: For those of you who believe block dates can be nailed down to a certain day, this was cast 9/24/71.

100_4955.JPG

Block #3: Another block cast 9/24/71. This one does not have a year stamped on it, so it could be '72 or '73 based on what we learned on block #2. I purchased it in southern Wisconsin.

100_4979.JPG

Block #4: Bought along with #3. Casting date 5/31/72.

100_5009.JPG

Block #5: Purchased near Duluth, MN. At time of purchase it had W2 heads, Victor W2 intake, MP 284/.528" solid cam, forged TRWs, etc. I forgot to note the casting date. This block has damage in the starter area. It's not remotely fatal, but it is going to require a bit of work to repair.

100_5020.JPG

Block #6: Show's over, nothing to see here. This one's a B-body block (Lynch Road origin, I only have two such blocks). Look at your pal's '72 Road Runner or Charger just in case. This thing defies any attempt at photography--this is the best of about a dozen. I believe the last two digits are 48. Casting date 1/15/71.

100_5019.JPG

The rules of the game:

If I have your numbers 340 block, I definitely want you to have it. However, I'm not going to just hand it to you. I bought these engines and travelled to get most of 'em.

We are discussing a block only, along with the main caps that came with it when I got it (I believe this is a non-issue, but it's worth mentioning). In most cases, that's all I bought. One was complete (#5, the W2 engine), one was a partial. Five of these engines have been machined at some point. The two that came with heads had better than original parts. So I don't have your original engine--just the block. Unless you had #5. In that case, no, you can't have your W2 stuff back.

No block is for sale unless you can prove current ownership of the car that was delivered new with it. If you owned one the cars and prove it no longer exists, we'll talk. I'm a sentimental fool myself, but the burden of proof is on you.

Money? There won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive... oh, sorry--that's Caddyshack.

Seriously, I would rather not have to discuss money. I'd much prefer you simply provide me another viable 340 block in trade. I think that's fair. Oh, you will also be required to provide me with video of the engine being installed in its original car while Peaches & Herb's "Reunited" plays loudly on your shop stereo. This last bit is absolutely non-negotiable. Bonus points will be awarded for accurate disco-era attire.

The blocks are located in Michigan's frozen north. Please contact me via PM if you can give one of them its rightful home.

Whats this get me. LOL
Very little, but I do thank you for familiarizing younger members with the song.

Thing is, I'd almost bet you've got a least a little disco-era attire still stashed in your closet, patiently awaiting the return of self-illuminated dance floors. :D

Very little, but I do thank you for familiarizing younger members with the song.

Thing is, I'd almost bet you've got a least a little disco-era attire still stashed in your closet, patiently awaiting the return of self-illuminated dance floors. :D
I still have my striped 32 waist bell bottoms and my Tom Jones puffed sleeved shirts.

I never changed appearance much . The car got worse looking. I turned into a handsome devil

New pics 001.jpg

088.jpg

images.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back