1971 Barracuda 4-Speed problems

-

mopardude62

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, I know this is an E-Body question, but you guys (and gals) are very good at answering questions I decided to post it anyway.

I have trouble shifting my A-833 transmission. It will hardly go into reverse, I have a hard time getting it to come out of reverse as well. One time I drive it I will have first gear but no second then the next time I get in I have no first gear but I have second. Very strange.

I have replaced the shift levers on the side of the transmission and the shift levers themselves but I'm starting to think it is the shifter. It has a pistol grip handle but I do not know they type of shifter it has.

Can anyone post a picture of an A-833 for an E-body with the shifter and levers attached. I want to make sure they look correct and I have the levers in the right place.

This has been on ongoing problem and I'm determined to fix it. If anyone can give me the shifter model number this car should have I can order a new one from Brewers or Jegs. Please help if you can.

I had the same trouble on my Duster. I always go the cheap route first. So I crawled underneath while my son tried to shift in and out of reverse. It turned out to be a bad transmission mount. The bushing actually failed and the tail of the trans shifted towards the passenger side. This caused interference with the shift linkage against the trans cross member. Once I installed the new mount and got the tail in line like it should my trans shifted fine after wards.

Of course this was my example. Hopefully yours is a cheap one as well.

:burnout:

Thanks Ryan! I'm pretty sure my transmission mount is OK. I had this engine out two years ago having the crank drilled out to accept the pilot bushing for my four speed. Now that I have that problem fixed, I still have this shifting issue. It's gotta be the shifter itself because I have replaced everything else. I would like to see a picture of the shifter, rods and levers just to verify my parts are in the correct places (I bought the car in pieces).

These pictures are from an A-body Barracuda but other than the length of the tail shaft, there is no difference in the way the linkage and shifter are attached.

Attachments

• CIMG2493.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 112
  • CIMG2495.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 134
-
Back