1971 Dart 318 to 440 727

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
Hi folks.
I know this topic has been beat to death but I figure Ill start my own post.
I may have access (free) to a 440 with some nicly worked over 906 casting# heads
It already has a 727 TF with cooler and colum shift linkage also free or very cheep.

I could also get (free) the 27" long by 3" wide Radiator, Is this what most folks use in an A body 440? I figure I just go to pick an pull and get me some decent 12V electric fans?...

I called Shumacker and spoke with them and they say that the 727 will use the same mounts as my 906 tranny? is this true? I seems to good to be true....Will the 906 mounts hold a 727 behind a 440?

I have cut and shortened 3 rock crawler rear drive shafts that run under very high torque loads and are still on the road today (spinning hiway speeds and crawling like mad on the weekends.). I hope I'm not assuming to much to think that I could just cut and re T.I.G. the rear shaft like I have done in the past?

I know that the frame needs connecting but thats not to hard.
The brakes and rear end my be my stumbling block. If I were to drive the car nice and easy with the 440 and stock 318 rear end would it make it to the grocery store every once and a while if I dont stomp on it?

What are some cheep donor cars/trucks to look at for brake upgrades?

Where to source out the BB torsion bars? and are they gonna cost an arm and a leg?

What are good source cars/trucks to look for a 8 3/4 rear end? MOPAR cars are very few and far between in the yards around here.
Whats a decent price to pay for a core 8/34?

What is the pinion snubber that I have read about?
Can one be made?

Will the oil filter of the 440 clear the torsion rod or dose it have to be relocated?

Dose the battery have to be moved to the trunk or can it say up front?

Thanks again for all the time and help.

you can use the colum shift linkage. it's 904 not a 906. get the radiator. you did the rock crawler shafts this one will be a bag of beans. get an a-body 73 and new a grab all the brakes parts including the spindles and upper control arms. grab a dana 60 have it and the axles shorten, the 7 1/4" will last until yesterday. you won't need a snubber if you use superstack springs. don't worry about the torsion bars, leave them. the oil filter is fine and youcan leave the battery in front.

Well let the madness begin
I bought the 440 &727. I also got a new eletronic distributer and the 906 heads worked by Bob Grom.
I atarted cleaning out the garrage and hope to start wrenching today

Thanks for the time and advice

So i guess the RV donation place wont take an RV with out a motor.
The owner gave me back the cash and it looks like im screwed.
Any one got an idea how to get rid of an Rv with no motor or trans that dont cost an arm and a leg?
This sucks

You should be able to strip and dismantle it. Wood and interior could go to the dump, metal to scrapyard for $$$. You will have to pay to get rid of the tires. The other alternatives might not be legal. If you have a place in the country you should be able to dismantle it. I have also heard of people cutting the body into small squares and putting in trash bags. It's alot of work. In places where burning is legal sometimes they catch on fire.

-
Back