1971 Dart Swinger

-
this looks like a good build, I've never looked at too much of this turbo stuff on gas engines before (I work on a farm so almost all of the equipment has turbos). It'll be interesting to see the rest of the build.

Also, you take great pictures, its obvious that it is your other hobby.

I grew up on a farm also. But everything we had was just NA diesel engines.

Speaking of pics, I took some of the wideband I just got today.

shippingbox.jpg

ZT-2kit.jpg

Made a little more progress.
We got the B&M Mega shifter installed, a temporary bucket seat put in until I get the ones I want.
Cut and moved the radiator support to fit the electric fan for the new aluminum radiator.
Blowthrough carb had been built. 68/76 jets to start with, going to run 8 inch vent tube extensions.
Also removed and painted all of the hot side.

IMG_0070-1.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

We got a few more things done. I'm pretty freakin lucky to have a buddy that's so damn good at fabricating.

Throttle kickdown bracket.
throttlebracket.jpg

Flange brace
bracket.jpg

New aluminum radiator and shroud.
Radiator is 19 x 22. 16" Electric fan moves 2200cfm.
The shroud was for a 19 x 26 radiator that had to be reworked to fit this one.
NewRadiator.jpg

B&M has been installed and the manual steering column and steering sector are in. Also put in a temporary bucket seat until I get the dough for the ones I want.
Interior.jpg

Had to cut a speed hol for the carb hat to clear.
6 pack hood scoop will be getting installed.
Frontshot.jpg

Still have to finish the cold side and a lot of other things but the list is getting smaller fast.

gettingcloser.jpg

Thanks Tnplumber!

Its a fun project, i'm starting to get to the point were I just want it on the road smoking tires.

ya my favorite build to. its a very clean build that seems like i could afford it someday lol. is the motor just stock? or is it built to perform already?

Bone stock 318 out of a 74 Fury Sport. So its got the smog heads and all.
But I do have a 360 out of a 91 Ramcharger that will be going into it at some point.
I don't plan on building up a motor for it until after I have the body done.

Awesome looking build so far! Can't wait to see it finished, should be a lot of fun! :-D

Got it running last night!
Calling Master Power today to see what they think it wrong with the turbo.
It spins only when the engine revs, it should spin all the time.

This is the current running configuration. I think I need a bigger alternator and better battery to supply the juice needed for the FP and electric fan.

CompletedTurboDartUnderHood.jpg

The turbo spins on idle now, just needed to be broke in a bit.

Did a little more tuning. Needs the timing figured out and to be rejetted.
Have to ease into the throttle or it loads up. The 318 isn't so happy with the 750 cfm carb until it gets up in the rpm's.

Here is my buddy taking it for a drive.

its pretty freakin cool when the boost builds and it starts to haul ***.

Hmmm...vid doesn't seem to work for me. :angry7:

But the car looks great. You really detailed it pretty well, making it look easy! 8)

Still a lot of work done very well. Can't wait to see what it'll do all tuned in! :-D

I think photobucket was having issues earlier today.
Video should be working now.

Couple more pictures.

Fuel pump location
Fuelpumpmounted.jpg

Gutted interior.
Dartinterior.jpg

First off, great build! It turned out real nice. I do have a few questions. First, what size line did you use for your oil feed for the turbo, as well as the return to the pan? Second, What did you use for your exhaust sytem, size and what muffler? Thanks and good luck.

4AN line for oil feed, 10AN for the drain.
Exhaust right now is just the down pipe with a 3 foot piece that ends under the passenger floor board and there is no muffler right now.

Took the car out tonight to work on the tune a little more.
I have to learn how to drive with a large mechanical secondary on this 318.

Its quite fun to blow the tires off at 25mph.

Its hitting 5psi at ~3000rpm, which is full boost right now.
WOT AFR is around 12.9, should probably drop that down some.

Idle is at 13.3

We locked the timing at 26 then took it out to have some fun.
It runs good for what it is.
Unhooked the line to the waste gate that was helping it blow off at 5psi and took it for a spin.
Just running on the smallest spring that came with the X02 waste gate and we got 12lbs of boost.
Going to have to drill out the power valve more and play with the timing before it will run at 12lbs.
It was a fun test at least.

DartTransparenthood.jpg

She is a pooch until the boost builds then it takes off and there is no holding it back.

DartBurnout1.jpg

DartBurnout2.jpg

DartBurnout3.jpg

Should have videos up today sometime.

very nice!! It would be interesting to see some dyno numbers, i'm sure your curious about that as well.

What are your plans for finishing the body? are you gonna dress it up or leave it looking like the sleeper?

by the way, be careful about doing long burnouts like that. Its fun, but the Dart is the first car i've driven that would do that and I almost put it in a corn field a few weeks ago. It certainly would have ruined my summer.

-
Back