1971 Demon Hood cutouts

-

gts1

Reaction score
Good Morning Guys,
Quick question, Did all H code 71 Demon's come with cutouts under the scopes to make the hood functional ?
Thanks Sal

I also have a question. Was there a special air cleaner for the scoops? Also, what size were the cut outs for the holes?

If you are going to put holes in your hood BE sure to get the rubber ‘donuts’ first . Then measure them for the proper size of hole to make. Ask me how I know.
I used a standard bimetal hole saw on mine. Cut slowly, don’t get in a hurry. After the hole is cut a half round file can be used to remove the fine flare left by the saw.
Edit: after the pilot hole is through ( mine was 1/4”) I removed the bit and replaced it with a 1/4” smooth rod. This prevents what a drill bit would do, which is to try to grab and make the pilot bit wobble off . Thus keeping the hole saw better centered.
My holes were near perfect except the diameter because I didn’t measure the grommet first. I researched for the proper size first including this forum. Still wrong.
I also did manage to make a design to funnel the incoming air to the air cleaner.

Yote

Last edited:
Thank you for that info. I will definitely do my research and buy the grommets first. The only measurements I have come up with so far is 4.125” for hole size.

That was the same measurement I found also, that is why I say to measure grommet first. I relied on that measurement and it was too large for the grommets I received.
Yote

Thank you for that info. I will definitely do my research and buy the grommets first. The only measurements I have come up with so far is 4.125” for hole size.
I just received my grommets this week as I will also be opening up my hood openings this spring.I guess I will be sure to measure them before making the hole. Lots of good info in this thread.I found this picture online while doing my own research. Cannot confirm measurements but it’s a start.RJ

F5F5391B-190B-42BA-B1E4-67E3A1A6D58F.jpeg

The punch that OMM reccomends works great. I use a hand held hydraulic one at work all the time for punching junction boxes for conduit.
Make sure you know what size hole you want. 4 inch conduit is 4 1/2” OD.

I just received my grommets this week as I will also be opening up my hood openings this spring.I guess I will be sure to measure them before making the hole. Lots of good info in this thread.I found this picture online while doing my own research. Cannot confirm measurements but it’s a start.RJ

View attachment 1716038013
I've got the original sheet metal (only) that I kept as a template from a 70 swinger if you want to use it.

I've got the original sheet metal (only) that I kept as a template from a 70 swinger if you want to use it.
Thanks for the offer Troy but I think I will just wing it. Close is good enough for me as my car is far from perfect but working on it! I’m focusing on the hood this summer as there is a few small dimples caused by the air filter wing nut that I would like to repair. RJ

E076759F-A309-4169-86DB-6E20E47C4F27.jpeg

and when you put the grommet in place the tall side goes up into the scoop - it's to keep rain sheeting up the hood from ending up all over your engine...

-
Back