1971 demon rebuild

-

amh70043

Reaction score
hi everyone....ive decided to get involved in restorations, as a hobby. this is the first time ive ever done a rebuild and before that ive never changed an altenator without my dads help...so needless to say ive already spent countless hours reading from everone on this forum in order to feel good about rebuilding a car....i moved down to oakwood georgia about a year and a half ago and started searching for a car to build. ive always been interested in muscle cars from way back when i was a kid from either building plastic models and goin to shows. (im 24 now) still interested in cars, specificaly MOPARS!!! back in may i finally found one on craigslist that was nice enough to restore. i picked up this 1971 citron yella (a59 sizzler package) dodge demon.....other than the usual rust ive seen in mopars the thing is pretty solid and the car was optioned pretty good. the plan is to rebuild it back to origional...or as close as i can get. sooooo that all being said, the reason im doing this is to document this rebuild on this site...(use it as a learning tool) so this is the story of the rebuild of my 1971 demon.

011604010301010405200803216ace134d5710a5402300da49.jpg

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00409.jpg

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00411.jpg

DSC00412.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

DSC00416.jpg

DSC00418.jpg

Looks like you have a lot of work in front of you. But it is still a solid looking starting point. You should put up a post in the Members restoration thread and put in updates as you go so we can all see what you are doing and how it is coming along.

What is your plan for the cars build up?

Good luck on your build and happy motoring.

here is a video of the demon running before i tore it all apart..... for sitting 12 years (as i was told) it ran pretty good...dont worry who ever had this car before me redid the gas tank so no rusty nasty crap was goin through the engine..you can see it in the trunk:snakeman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xHtBlV93JQ

also here are some pictures of the documentation i got with the car. is there anyone out there who can tell me the production numbers of 1971 demons with a59 sizzler package?

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

DSC00675.jpg

Sounds like a plan! I am almost 23 and this is my first restoration. I've worked on my Jeep prior, but don't have any restoration experience. Also, nice Demon :supz:

DSCN3021.jpg

demonrevised.jpg

sharpie keep in touch with how your rebuild is goin.....i like the hood pins!!!!

That ought to keep you busy (and outa trouble :) ) for awhile. You've got a great project ahead of you. Keep the pics coming!

dissassembly is complete ...did this back in june gettin you guys caught up with where im at....took 40 hrs the next car will probably go twice as fast considering im a total ROOKIE. i used a gantry crane to lift the car off of the engine.

DSC00578.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

the past couple of weeks ive been researching how to do certian stuff with the build....i also rebuilt the brake assembly by dissassembling it, sandblasting it, reassembling it. and the same thing with the guage cluster (which isnt complete.)....

DSC00556.jpg

DSC00560.jpg

DSC00563.jpg

DSC00567.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

I bought an engine stand at harbour freight and put it up in preporation of the engine getting new paint....heres the process. remove the transmission, put engine on stand, scrape off old grease and dirt and whatnot, cover all the holes and sand blast it, prime then paint. i also found out my engine and transmission are the origionals to this car, i know its only a 318 but its good for an origional rebuild like im doing...... anyways the finished product looks pretty good to me, amazing what paint can do for ya.

Ok your all caught up with where im at...tomorrow im gonna strip the engine bay of paint and prime it. i got my primer in so i can go ahead and start the body :cheers:

DSC00635.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

DSC00646.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00649.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

thanks....i did that myself usually they have a woodgrain that is a sticker and you just slap it on there, i painted mine because the grain is cut into the plastic. and i dont have the means to plastic chrome it so i did what i can with what i got.... i need the light and wiper switches in it yet and need to open it back up and re do the oil light, ooo by the way i used meguires plastic buff on the window parts, that stuff works really good.

Nice Progress.
I concern on sandblasting a complete engine, and the possibility of it getting inside the engine?

It looks awesome.

man.... that Instrament panel looks real nice !! So you painted the brown on ? looks sharp in the pics. Nice project have fun with it !!

-RPM

ya i painted the brown......satin brown is what its called.

There is some good work going on here and that is a great Demon

Dutch Bros lift. Nice and thanks for sharing.
I will be watching this thread, Keep up the very good work.

Looking really good!! Coming together pretty quick too. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Man to be 24 again lol

hey badawg thanks for the comment......you know i moved here to georgia from cleveland, well not cleveland exactly about 30 miles east, in mentor.... GO BROWNS WOOF WOOOF WOOOF

Nice progress, it's nice to watch others progess even if I can't get at mine for now. Keep doing what your doing progress is looking really good!

hey guys. got primer on the interior of the demon but i dont have pictures up yet...ive been busy buying a duster. bought this at the local auction 1971 duster 225/6 this will be my daily driver till i get the demon done. then this ones getting a 440:toothy10: ....absolutely no rust anywhere not even in the trunk pan, interior has new upholstery and headliner, hood scoops, it runs, this car is very solid....... oh by the way just for you who wanna know...the winning bid was $1200.00:cheers:

DSC00696.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

That Duster is a GREAT buy for $1200! I'd buy that car anyday!

Know where anymore may be for even $2000, in that condition? LOL...

I'd pay a finders fee if I could buy a Duster in that condition for anything close to that price!

-
Back