1971 Dodge Dart Swinger, slant6 to 360 swap, questions, also help needed!

-

kiss

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have some questions in regards to my 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger. It currently has a slant 6. This car has been my daily driver for 12 years. It is a rust free California car and well taken care of. The engine is finally getting worn and needing a rebuild. The thing is I really don't want to rebuild this engine. It has some issues, I dislike adjusting valves (solid lifters), hard to find parts for, etc. There's more reasons, I have nothing against slant 6, but for my situation I would really like to swap to a 360+727.

Over the years that I've owned this car I have done several upgrades:
V8 radiator (I believe that's 22") and re-cored.
15" Rallye wheels BBP
Front disc brakes 11.75" off a 1979 Cordoba
8 3/4 rear end, 2.7x clutch type sure grip, green bearings
Various suspension upgrades such as front sway bar, new leaf springs, torsion bars off a V8 car (not sure which), Edelbrock shocks, HD tie rods
Oh also, the car has manual steering, so no power steering conversion to deal with

This swap would be very stock. I do not need high performance or anything. This car is just my daily driver, groceries, out to eat, etc. I work from home so I do not commute. This car would do the occasional road trip every so often but normally just an around town driver. No headers, no fuel injection, no exotic carburetor setup, etc. I am attracted to the 360 due to parts availability. Not interested in going to a 318 or 273.

Aside from things like shortening the drive-line and having new exhaust installed, what else would I need to accomplish this? I believe engine-swaps makes the conversion mounts so I can keep the same K frame, correct? Any transmission mount or floor pan alterations to accept the 727? Currently the car has a 904.

Also, 1 more thing, and this may be the biggest challenge of all! I live in San Diego, in the city, and I live in an apartment. I need to find a Mopar enthusiast, or a mechanic shop, in the area that would like to do this. I have the money and everything ready to go, just need to locate that. Maybe someone on this forum?

Thanks in advance for the assistance everyone!

Trans mounts are the same. You can use the same k frame. No alteration to floor pan needed. I believe you need a V 8 throttle pedal, and kick down linkage.

Schumaker has motor mounts for slant 6 to small block swap

As stated V8 parts for throttle, kick down, will need to modify wiring to fit v 8

If performance isn't the main reason for a 360, parts for a 318 are just as easy to get, plentiful good used 318's and also the 904 would be plenty of transmission for a stock 318 or 360, and if built right a highly modified small block. Used in racers that want the lighter weight transmission.

Cannot help you with a shop

But a 318/904 would be a good combo, IF you are thinking do the swap then slowly modify to make a street strip car the 360 might be the way to go.

My 2 cents

Trans mounts are the same. You can use the same k frame. No alteration to floor pan needed. I believe you need a V 8 throttle pedal, and kick down linkage.

im doing a swap myself, putting a 360 into a 71 duster, whats the story with the V8 throttle pedal?

-
Back