1971 Dodge Demon power booster line problem???!!

-

J.B.

Reaction score
I installed a Right stuff 8” power brake master cylinder and the lines i bought the car with dont line up and jot even close. I hought the car with new lines as a roller car but not sure what is going on here, any one have any wisdom or know where to find proper lines for this to proportioning valve?

IMG_6936.jpeg

IMG_6937.jpeg

So the master cylinder and booster are from Right Stuff, and the lines are an unknown application because they were in the car when you bought it?

Looks to me like the lines were for a manual brake car, ie, no brake booster. If you bent them back toward the firewall it looks like they'd reach where a manual master cylinder would be (basically back where the booster is).

A couple of things.
At first I thought you just had lines for a manual brake car, but they look a little long for that.
Most likely you've got lines for a '73 and up car- those used a shorter (but larger diameter) single diaphragm "pancake" booster, as opposed to your longer double diaphragm booster.
You didn't say, but I'll make an assumption here- You've got a '73 and later front disc setup on the car, and the same years' proportioning valve; and probably the brake lines to fit that valve, which are shorter than the earlier ('72 and older) lines.

A couple of things.
At first I thought you just had lines for a manual brake car, but they look a little long for that.
Most likely you've got lines for a '73 and up car- those used a shorter (but larger diameter) single diaphragm "pancake" booster, as opposed to your longer double diaphragm booster.
You didn't say, but I'll make an assumption here- You've got a '73 and later front disc setup on the car, and the same years' proportioning valve; and probably the brake lines to fit that valve, which are shorter than the earlier ('72 and older) lines.

Good point! That could definitely be what's going on there.

So what do i get to make this work? 1973 lines?

So what do i get to make this work? 1973 lines?
No, like I said- you probably already have the '73 and later lines. If you do have the later disc brake conversion and proportioning valve (you still didn't say), earlier lines ('72 and earlier) may be a better fit length wise, but may not match up to your late prop. valve (although they may just need a few tweeks). The easiest route would just be to buy a roll (or a couple of short lengths) of brake line and bend your own to fit your master cylinder position, going to the prop. valve.

I just pulled them up to fit. There was length by pulling up on the tight loops

IMG_6939.jpeg

No, like I said- you probably already have the '73 and later lines. If you do have the later disc brake conversion and proportioning valve (you still didn't say), earlier lines ('72 and earlier) may be a better fit length wise, but may not match up to your late prop. valve (although they may just need a few tweeks). The easiest route would just be to buy a roll (or a couple of short lengths) of brake line and bend your own to fit your master cylinder position, going to the prop. valve.
Below is the proportioning valve and yes front are discs and rear unknown what they were going to do. I just bought a rear wheel disc kit. I have no idea of knowing if that is a 4 wheel disc valve so gonna have to buy one of those it seems too

IMG_6940.jpeg

yeah, that's not going to work great for rear discs. you'd be better off plumbing in an aftermarket T and adjustable prop valve.

on the master, you'll need one for discs or to remove the residual pressure valve for the rear that should be present in that one.

yeah, that's not going to work great for rear discs. you'd be better off plumbing in an aftermarket T and adjustable prop valve.

on the master, you'll need one for discs or to remove the residual pressure valve for the rear that should be present in that one.
I just went to right stuff’s website they have a 4 wheel disc conversion line kit

Might be an optical illusion, but it looks like a kink in the line right above the steering coupler in your pic.

-
Back