-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Selwa

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I need a gas cap for my 1971 Duster. From what I understand the cap I need was for 1970 California and 1971 for all US A bodies. I am starting to wonder if my only choice will be to pay 100 plus for an NOS one.

Matt, good luck finding even a NOS one. Make sure you don't spend your hard earned $$$$ on the one with wide flanges.

Attachments

• Abody Gas Caps 67-70,70 Cal and 71,72-74,75-76.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,289
The "1971" cap was indeed used on '70 California A-bodies plus those 50-state/Canada '71s made through May 1971. This cap is a real stinker to find. I am considering reproducing them on the same production line as these '60-'66 A-body caps.

50-state/Canada '71s made after May 1971 used the same filler pipe and cap as the '72-'74 models; that cap is much easier to find. So, step 1 is to figure out when your car was made.

Often it's easier to find a June '71-up filler pipe and swap that into the car, then use the matching easier-to-find cap.

The "1971" cap was indeed used on '70 California A-bodies plus those 50-state/Canada '71s made through May 1971. This cap is a real stinker to find. I am considering reproducing them on the same production line as these '60-'66 A-body caps.

50-state/Canada '71s made after May 1971 used the same filler pipe and cap as the '72-'74 models; that cap is much easier to find. So, step 1 is to figure out when your car was made.

Often it's easier to find a June '71-up filler pipe and swap that into the car, then use the matching easier-to-find cap.

Those are nice almost makes me want an early A......almost

This pic used above was from one of my posts. I still have all of the caps pictured and a lot more if needed. The filler necks are only interchangable from 70 and 71 . the later years fasten on the outside of the quarter. Using these on a early quarter changes the depth of the cap in relation to the quarter. Another thing to remember is that the filler tubes from darts and scamps do not interchange with dusters and demons. doing this puts a buckle in the quarter. they are different angles. I have every year and style for comparing differences.

The recesses in the quarters also differ from one to another.

A 70 neck is the way to go. It is vented which allows the collision impact protection tube hoses to be plugged and makes it useless.

Who needs the fuel pushed into the headliner during a rear end collision. only to be lit by the dome light on exit of the car. Maybe why it was discontinued in 72 ?

Attachments

• DSCF2698.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCF2701.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 291
  • DSCF2699.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 257
Thanks to Moparfan68 I have a cap in good condition. Based on the time to find it I need to make sure I never forget it at a gas station!

Yes thanku Oldmanmopar for the use of your pic. I use it often because it really shows each year correctly. Hopefully you get many sales from it and as being the nice guy you are, I would love to accept a 71 cap as a jesture of your appreciation ;)

Thanks for the pics OMM. I left mine at a gas station and in need to one. Will PM you later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back