1971 into a 1969

-

lmalone

Reaction score
How hard would it be to convert my 1971 dart to look like a 1969 dart?
Is it all bolt on stuff or quite a bit of changes...? I know the back bumpers are quite different....so just wondering...

It would be extremely hard, they are two completely different bodies it would be like turning a honda civic into a lambo. If you really want a 69 you would be way better off buying one...

The front end would be easy- just bolt it on. The back end would require lots of metal work. The interior dash could be switched fairly easily. What all are you wanting to change? I think it might be cheaper to just buy a 69.

RTom

They are not two completely different bodies. They are the same body with a different front and rear end.

You can do it. The front end will be a bolt on thing. Fenders, hood, bumper grill, bumper mounts, and the front brace.

The rear will be a little harder I think. You will need to cut the tail panel off and weld the one off of a 69 on to you 71.

Getting a '69 would be easier.

The front will bolt on, as mentioned. But you still need to find a set of fenders, a hood, grille, hood support/latch, bumper, etc...

The rear will require new quarter panels, a new tail panel, and a new trunk lid. In other words, a decent amount of welding.

If you've got a '71 that needs new fenders and quarters already it wouldn't be too much harder to change them to a '69, but if you've got a '71 that's in good shape its just a ton of work/money. It'd be a whole lot easier to just get a '69, especially since you'll basically need a donor car to pull that swap off anyway.

I have a 71 which needs alot of work as the drivers quarter needs replaced as does the hood and trunk and the bumpers look rough too...should probably part it out and scrap the body...or bondo her back up as her previous owner did ...

....or do a 69 front end and leave the 71 rear end...

I'd rather have a 69 rear end and a 71 front. The 70-72 Dart/Demon front ends are some of the coolest Mopar ever made. While the rear ends of those cars are some of the ugliest of that time. It's like they spent all their time on the hood and grille design of the car and just mailed it in on the rear end and stuck the laziest and most bland design they could think of on there.

hahah ur talking alot of work someone here had taken a 74 dart and put a 70-73 butt on it it can be done but........ hope your welding skills are up to it

I'd rather have a 69 rear end and a 71 front. The 70-72 Dart/Demon front ends are some of the coolest Mopar ever made. While the rear ends of those cars are some of the ugliest of that time. It's like they spent all their time on the hood and grille design of the car and just mailed it in on the rear end and stuck the laziest and most bland design they could think of on there.

I would tend to agree.. I never really gave the issue any thought at all until I saw a 69 with a 70 front end at the Nats this year.. I have to say.. it was a way better combo than I would have ever thought.. For some reason they went together and didnt look un-natural.. now a 70 with a 69 front clip would look very bizzare IMO....

I however also agree it would probably be easier just to find a 69 to start with

Obviously this is opinion only, so no right or wrong answer, but I've never seen the '70-'72 rear this way at all. Looking at it from the side, the way they angled the trunk lid and quarters down into the rear bumper is well designed. A nice triangular shape already, then you add the stripe on that goes right along the same angle... beautiful.

But, that said, I like the '69 rear just as much, just in a totally different way.

To me, the front and rear of a '70 just go together... more modern... and the '67-'69 goes together... more squared and classic.

But combining them on one car is interesting, just not something I would do myself. I'm curious to see it now though.

Either way, to the original question, I would definitely just sell the '71 and buy a '69. Way too much work to turn it into a car that can be bought affordably instead to begin with.

My opinion : '69 rear end = greatest rearend ever, '70 rearend = mistake. '69 front end = old man car, '70 front end = frightened children. A '69 with a '70 front clip may be the single greatest creation of the modern world, while a '70 with a '69 front clip would be a good argument for extending the cas for clunkers debachle to include older cars.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this, even if you are wrong. If you think a '70 rear and '69 front would look good together, your seeing eye dog should be put down for uncurable bad taste.

'70 front end = frightened children

LOL, nice, I agree. :snakeman:

If you think a '70 rear and '69 front would look good together, your seeing eye dog should be put down for uncurable bad taste.

I agree with this as well. Which is why if the guy wants a '69 front end, he should just buy a '69. I don't agree that the '70 rear is bad, but it certainly would be with any other front end. The look is totally wrong to mix. But I would like to see it the other way around. I think I'm beginning to be able to picture how good it would look.

I saw a 1969 convertible made into a 70 front and rear. It was one of the coolest, cleanest Darts I have ever seen! Made me want one! Thats really the only way I would go through all that work though. For a hardtop, I would just buy the one you want. I do agree that the 70-72 front clip looks good on ANY year, though my purist Mopar buddies would say that aint the way it came from the factory!

I saw a 1969 convertible made into a 70 front and rear. It was one of the coolest, cleanest Darts I have ever seen! Made me want one! Thats really the only way I would go through all that work though. For a hardtop, I would just buy the one you want. I do agree that the 70-72 front clip looks good on ANY year, though my purist Mopar buddies would say that aint the way it came from the factory!

I have seen one too. I love the look way better than the 67-69 Verts. Wish they would of made one in 70.

Soooo sweet! I may just have to build one after I finish my 72 swinger.

a 70 style vert is sweet.. used to see this one at e-town in the 90's. was for sale at carlisle in 09.

carlisle09%20521.jpg

carlisle09%20522.jpg

carlisle09%20523.jpg

carlisle09%20524.jpg

carlisle09%20525.jpg

-
Back