1971 Slant 6 Vin Location

-

sublime green

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a 71 duster twister with a 225 slant six and am in the process of checking all the numbers. I have done multiple searches but have yet to come up with a definite answer so hopefully, someone here can help me locate the vin number. I would like to know where my vin is on my slant 6 and the trans so I can verify they are original. If they aren't, I've got to go with a 340 or 360. Any help would be great, thanks.

If your only criteria for staying with the slant is a matching VIN tag you might as pull the slant now and put in the small block. These cars really don't have much value regardless of original slant or replacement engine. When most people see a slant they think how it is a waste of a good car to have an underpowered turd like a slant six powering it. I personally would prefer a slant over any small block in an A-body regardless of whether or not the engine is original. I would consider dropping a slant into my 66 273 dart if the 273 ever goes kaput. I love the working room you get with a slant.

But to answer your question I could be wrong but I believe the VIN is stamped into the head gasket deck on a data plate. It is on the low side of the deck surface and it will be covered in grime they always are. If you look at the engine in this link you can see data plate in question at the head seam below plug #6.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=208738

Ahh I see it. Is that generic for all slant 6's though? I'll have to take a look but I think keeping the car original would help with the value in the long run. I like the whole factory numbers matching restoration and want to keep the slant 6. Two other dusters with v8s in the family that will suit my needs to go fast where as this will be a little cruising car. Thanks though!

Two other dusters with v8s in the family that will suit my needs to go fast where as this will be a little cruising car. Thanks though!

That's good to hear. They do make good cruisers and it is something different when parked next to a half dozen small block cars at your local cruise spot. If you are ever curious about value watch ebay motors. You can find nice clean original slant a bodies pop up from time to time and they go for a few grand. In my opinion I would rather pay 4K for a low mileage 73 scamp slant than a 9 year car with 150K

Thanks for the info on the vin. Looked the other day and its numbers matching so as long as everything looks good when I tear into it a little, it will stay.

My 69 has the vin stamped on a machined pad on the oil pan rail, passenger side.

-
Back