1972-93 Truck seat question.

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Sorry to be a little off topic, but I can't seem to get a definitive answer anywhere else, and this crowd never seems to fail me when I need good solid info!

I have an 85 bench seat that needs recovered, and need to know if the upholstry kits from other years will fit the seat. I really want the 72-78 style in vinyl, over the factory 85 velour 'big comfy couch' look.
Does anybody know if the seats changed size over the years?
Has anyone used an earlier upholstry kit on a newer seat?...or vice versa?
I'm looking at kits from stockinteriors.com, if it matters.

Thanks!

20200411_193205.jpg

Click on this link and you'll see the vinyl covers. Vinyl Bench Seat Reupholstery Kits But, yes, they did change the seats from the '72-'78 style to '79-'83 seat.
Hope this a little bit, anyway.

Last edited:
Click on this link and you'll see the vinyl covers. Vinyl Bench Seat Reupholstery Kits But, yes, they did change the seats from the '72-'78 style to '79-'83 seat.
What changed? I'm asking about the seat itself ( dimensions, controls, hinges, etc), not the style cover.
So far, this is the ONE guy who says he interchanged covers from two different year ranges.If he is not mistaken, looks like it fit just fine.

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Screenshot_2020-06-03-21-17-51.png

Last edited:
I am guessing it's just the vinyl design pattern. He may have used a new foam for a '72-78 truck. Let me talk to my "Dodge Truck Super Tech" here and I'll let you know.

My friend says there's not too much difference between the 1st and 2nd gen fuselage Dodge seats and putting the earlier vinyl on a later seat should be within the normal adjustment range of putting fresh vinyl on one.

-
Back