1972 alternator bracket finish

-

GSS

Reaction score
The triangle bracket is semi-gloss black and the adjustment bracket is black phosphate, correct?

I was always told the adjustment bracket was also black and both originally "dip" painted

Just thinking out loud....

And this assumed SB Mopar engine

The triangle bracket probably was on the engine before engine paint as water pump bolts go through it. That would suggest it would be engine colored.

If it was added after engine paint the head of the bolt would be engine colored.

Unless they left those bolts out then they would not be engine colored.

I don't know if all engines were ever test fired or if they were put into the car then first fired when it rolled off the assembly line?

Again just thinking out loud.

Both brackets are painted black. Certain procedures could have changed over time but when I was restoring my 73, the consensus was that the water pump bolts were installed on the engine before it was painted. When the engines were dressed out, the water pump bolts were removed and then re-installed.

I'm not sure. I would have to do some research again. I know Allpar had a good writeup on the engine plants at one time.

I guess they could dry fire the engine. I doubt there was any cam breaking in done by the factory

Both brackets are painted black. Certain procedures could have changed over time but when I was restoring my 73, the consensus was that the water pump bolts were installed on the engine before it was painted. When the engines were dressed out, the water pump bolts were removed and then re-installed.
51612006.jpg
That is beautiful!
Are the black painted parts semi-gloss, satin, or some of each?
Thanks for the reply.

Most of the black pieces are powdercoat. I think the coater said it's a 60% gloss. A few parts are painted with Eastwood's Extreme Chassis Black satin. The paint and the powder look the same. Originally the factory used gloss black for dipped parts. It was a very cheap gloss black paint though. It didn't have the shine that we expect from a gloss paint today.

My 72 360 is an original unrestored engine. Triangle bracket looks to be satin black. The adjustment arm is a much duller black, black phosphate? The bolt heads are blue
The triangle bracket is semi-gloss black and the adjustment bracket is black phosphate, correct?

-
Back