1972 Dart Horn issue

-

MrMopar

Reaction score
My horn will not work on my 72 Swinger. I have bought another relay and tried it but still no action. I have 12 volt power to the center pin and the wiring to the horns check out because I can jumper the relay points and get the horns to sound. I noticed that the power from the center pin on the relay also feeds 12 volts to the black/white tracer wire that runs up to the steering wheel at the horn button. I have a Grant steering wheel not the factory one. The 12 volt power goes out at the black/white tracer wire at the relay when the horn button is pushed. I know that the horn should sound when the button is pushed and makes contact with the center of the steering wheel grounding it out. It does not transfer the 12 volts to the green/red tracer wire that runs to the horns. Do you think I got a bad relay? I checked all connections at the firewall and steering wheel and all is good. Why do they feed 12 volts up to the steering wheel horn button from the relay? I thought that it was just a ground wire and when you pushed the horn button, it would complete the circuit. Any help would be appreciated.

That is the way it is supposed to work. If you want I can send you a diagram on how you wire up a standard 40 amp relay to make a horn work if you would like that info.

Jason

Thank You, that would be most helpfull. PM me if you like.

I couldn't get ahold of the exact relay that you mentioned, but had a couple from a remote start system that I took out of another car I once owned. I wired it up and the horn is now fully functioning. I guess the factory relay that I just purchased was faulty but I won't bother returning it as I bought it off E-Bay and it would cost just as much to send it back for a refund, if I would get one. Thanks for advising me to use a different type of relay. It works!! Think outside of the box........eh.

-
Back