1972 Dart Magnum swap, R46RE Trans

-
Reaction score
Hello.. Again..

Our next issue is that we could use some help with is, getting the R46RE trans in the tunnel..

Seems a bit tight..

Anyone been down this road??

Greetings, From Germany, Bob

IMG_3690.JPG

IMG_3691.JPG

Yes, cut the torsion bar crossmember out, cut the entire tunnel area above the transmission out, build a bigger tunnel, raise transmission up, rebuild top of torsion bar crossmember.

Yes, cut the torsion bar crossmember out, cut the entire tunnel area above the transmission out, build a bigger tunnel, raise transmission up, rebuild top of torsion bar crossmember.
This ^^^^^ Ain't no gettin around it.

A 904 will fit but you won't have overdrive. Gear Venders unit will give you overdrive and very little modification, so I hear.

I know Gear vendors I have one in my 93 D350 behind the Getrag.

Thats way to big and would be more money, and Im not 100% satisfied with Gear Venders. ( No service parts)

Greetz, Bob

The early A is even smaller in the tunnel than the 67-later A’s so even the 42RH/E’s require tunnel and upper crossmember surgery. Which is what I needed to to to make my 42RH comfortably fit. It is somewhat easier in the later A’s since it has a larger tunnel but will still need to be modified

I thought there was a thread on that install but can't find it. Must have been a different tranny.

I thought there was a thread on that install but can't find it. Must have been a different tranny.

There a huge post somewhere here on a member who did an install with LOTS of good info

This one?

This one?

Yup I think that's it.

My plan is to keep the EFI and run the Doner PCM (1999 Dakota R/T)
On my list is to find someone that can remove some of the things that will not be used, ie Evaporative, Catalyst monitoring, ect..
Thats the idea. I know going Carb and there is something available for the trans, would be the easy way.. But, I only know the most difficult way ...
Greetz, Bob

A 904 will fit but you won't have overdrive. Gear Venders unit will give you overdrive and very little modification, so I hear.
True and we have the 904, But this is Germany we LOVE to go STUPID fast on the Autobahn, and 3 gears just is not enough..
I drive the Autobahn every day and I get past at 90mph like I am in reverse going 80mph. There is a reason that the MBZs, BMWs go so fast, they can drive like 150+mph on their way to work every day...

Thank you for all you do for us, Bob

My plan is to keep the EFI and run the Doner PCM (1999 Dakota R/T)
On my list is to find someone that can remove some of the things that will not be used, ie Evaporative, Catalyst monitoring, ect..
Thats the idea. I know going Carb and there is something available for the trans, would be the easy way.. But, I only know the most difficult way ...
Greetz, Bob
Ok, that's really the best way to do it in my opinion. The EFI is so nice in these cars, especially since in has OEM reliability and parts are so easy to get (in North America).

I put a 1994 OBD1 Magnum setup in my car so I'm pretty knowledgeable about that. I know for OBD1 Mags you can just eliminate the EVAP and EGR systems and it won't cause the check engine light to come on and the PCM will go into closed loop when it should. You probably don't have EGR, and I think you'll be able to just delete the entire EVAP system with no ill effects. It might (will probably) cause the check engine light to come on in an OBD2 setup, but the PCM will still go run closed loop when it's supposed to.

I highly recommend you get a copy of the 1999 service manual and study the sections related to the PCM, wiring, and fuel system. All the information you need to become an expert on the retrofit is in the manual. Here's where you can download it for free:
Dodge

Last edited:
True and we have the 904, But this is Germany we LOVE to go STUPID fast on the Autobahn, and 3 gears just is not enough..
I drive the Autobahn every day and I get past at 90mph like I am in reverse going 80mph. There is a reason that the MBZs, BMWs go so fast, they can drive like 150+mph on their way to work every day...

Thank you for all you do for us, Bob
My 70 Dart has the 46RH with a 26 inch tire and a 3.23 gear. It cruises at 120 km/h at 2000, so 150 km/h would be about 2600 rpm. I might eventually switch to a 3.73, since the highway speed limits in Canada are usually 100 km/h, with very limited areas being 110.

What gear do you have?

Hello,
I already have a paper copy of the factory service manual and 40+ years as a Chrysler service technician.
We have narrowed the 9.25 diff and Moser built us a pair of axles so we can continue to run the 5 on 4 stock wheels..
the gears are 3.9 and Posi. (we may have to change)
120 Km/h is the normal speed on the side roads.. Car has to go 200+ Km/h !! or we get passed by a VW Passat...
Greetz, Bob

I cut mine and welded in a 2" ish wide flat plate in place and it fit up in there perfect:

1689134523232.png

Don’t have any tips for making the trans fit it there is also the option of Holley efi. It will control the trans and the engine. And you can then tune it yourself

-
Back