1972 Dart Swinger Special

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Dart Swinger Special. What make's it so special? Is this just a dealer add on or something/ THe car was originally white, with black interior, a/c, and a 6cyl, I am pretty sure, if I remember correctly. It has the Dart emblem on the 1/4 panel, just below the 1/4 glass and has "Swinger" and a rectangle "Special" emblem under that on each front fender. Fill me in on the rest of the story.

Thanks,

Mike

Here is a older picture.

Attachments

• 5-1-09 Mike 180.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 309
I have one of those too. The swinger special is identified by the vin number and it should start with "LL23". The regular Dart swinger starts with "LH23".

The swinger special was intended to be a very low option car for a very economical price. As far as I know the majority if not all of them were manual transmissions although the auto was available at an extra cost. These cars came with minimal chrome trim. Most I have seen don't even have the drip rail chrome. They were equipped with a slant six or a 318.

Think of it like when a restaurant offers the "special of the day" at a bargain price to get rid of surplus of an item before it goes bad.

The swinger specials were much lower production than the regular swinger. The "special" trim does not typically add value unless its a very rare and sought after Canadian special which was equipped with a 340. After 1971 the dart was not available with a 340 but somehow a Canadian dealer network managed to order a limited supply of factory 340 cars in 71 and 72 which the factory used swinger specials to fill the orders. Those cars will be identified with the 340 engine code in the vin LL23H2R or LL23H1R.

The car I have is a 72 swinger special and it started life with a 318/three on the tree combo and is a very low option plain car which I totally dig because these days plain cars are actually considered cool to many :)

Attachments

• CIMG7408.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 196
Thanks for the info. Low option, but mine has a auto, a/c.

QUOTE=RaniDart70;1970633296]I have one of those too. The swinger special is identified by the vin number and it should start with "LL23". The regular Dart swinger starts with "LH23".

The swinger special was intended to be a very low option car for a very economical price. As far as I know the majority if not all of them were manual transmissions although the auto was available at an extra cost. These cars came with minimal chrome trim. Most I have seen don't even have the drip rail chrome. They were equipped with a slant six or a 318.

Think of it like when a restaurant offers the "special of the day" at a bargain price to get rid of surplus of an item before it goes bad.

The swinger specials were much lower production than the regular swinger. The "special" trim does not typically add value unless its a very rare and sought after Canadian special which was equipped with a 340. After 1971 the dart was not available with a 340 but somehow a Canadian dealer network managed to order a limited supply of factory 340 cars in 71 and 72 which the factory used swinger specials to fill the orders. Those cars will be identified with the 340 engine code in the vin LL23H2R or LL23H1R.

The car I have is a 72 swinger special and it started life with a 318/three on the tree combo and is a very low option plain car which I totally dig because these days plain cars are actually considered cool to many :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Low option, but mine has a auto, a/c.

yup, that is low option....an auto and A/c were just the tip of the ice burg of what could have been ordered.

Starting with the lower base priced car and adding an auto and a/c still came out cheaper than a higher trim level car's base price.

-
Back