1972 Dart Swinger Special

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
I have a 72 Dart Swinger Special. The car is factory white, repainted with a garage special yellow paint job. The interior is black, with factory a/c. The original motor and trans are long gone. I am putting a 360 back in it. My question is will it kill any value to change the color to 1970 plum crazy, or possibly the new Challenger plum crazy. I am completely striping the car and starting with bare metal. Or leave it white? Either way I am painting everything in fresh paint. What do all of you think. I am just wondering if it is worth saving a Swinger Special as it came from the factory.

Paint it however you want to. Not being a 340 car or all original, you wont hurt the value whatsoever. In fact, unlike me, a lot of people don't like white. It happens to be one of my favorites though as black accents really stand out on it.

there are a few things going on with your car that prevent it from being a "barret-jackson collector car"

not always a bad thing

when I was buying a car, the way I figure it, a fresh paintjob is more valuable to me then a 40 year old original one, regardless of the color

now, one more thing to consider
you mention stripping it to bare metal before painting
you are going to be way WAY upside down on your investment/resale ratio

so if your looking to flip it, your going about it wrong, which leads me to believe your building this car because it is YOUR car
now, if that is true, why even consider resale value since youll most likely never want to sell it anyway?

You are right, I know it will never be a Barrett Jackson car, nor do I intend to
flip it. I do paint and body work for a living, so I know the cost and expenses involved, and will do it all myself, the only thing I will sub out is the transmission and headliner.
I guess I am trying to convince myself to just do it and be happy with it. Thanks for the input.
:burnout:

there are a few things going on with your car that prevent it from being a "barret-jackson collector car"

not always a bad thing

when I was buying a car, the way I figure it, a fresh paintjob is more valuable to me then a 40 year old original one, regardless of the color

now, one more thing to consider
you mention stripping it to bare metal before painting
you are going to be way WAY upside down on your investment/resale ratio

so if your looking to flip it, your going about it wrong, which leads me to believe your building this car because it is YOUR car
now, if that is true, why even consider resale value since youll most likely never want to sell it anyway?

My 2 cents worth. I would make the car the way I want the car. If you want the plum crazy, paint it plum crazy. I would not strip the car to bare metal unless you think there may be something hiding under the paint. Make her yours.

Sounds like a cool project B-onefan. I'd do it your way if i were you. The other guys are right on. If it was a valuable optioned car like a 340 4 speed or something like that, id reconcider, but like my 67 barracuda notch which was a no option slant sux car, i looke at it as a fresh canvas to do how i want it to be. Sounds like its gonna be pretty cool when done.

Matt

-
Back