1972 duster 340 value / worth ?

-

rose89

Reaction score
i am looking at acquiring a 72 Duster H code car . it has a demon front end on it. it currently has a 340 4 speed idk if it’s numbers matching engine or not. car runs and drives good , paint is faded non original yellow could use new paint but the only rust is minor on the bottom of rear quarter panels . everything else is solid no bondo. interior is clean but the car was built for bracket racing supposedly. it is mini tubbed and has a cage going through the back seat . what’s a rough estimate on the cars worth ?

Without seeing a pic, and cash money, asking price 10 grand ( someone may talk ya down to 8500). Now redo it clean nice paint and interior,15 grand. I may be way off just being realistic. There are two kinds of cars, the ones that are done, you buy and drive, and the ones that need work. How much will it cost to repaint anfd fix all the things on it and there is always something wrong, or incorrect with them you just have to find it.

Real estate is all about location and old Mopars is all about condition!!
Perfection can be hard to find and is usually expensive.
A Heinz 57 usually does not appeal to the $ buyer so much.
Check out ALL the numbers to see whats what.
To be really nice, you are talking some body/paint. Can you do it or do you have to pay it done?

Pictures and rust extent . I have the most respect for those that work on those rusty cars. Brutal frustration. I picked up a 72 duster totally stock /6. Nice patina, no frills, needed seat upholstery. Paid 7K after tax n title.

There is also a difference in peoples perspective as in how much work can you do yourself and the sentimental value to someone. Any more it is almost cheaper to buy a completed car at what seems an expensive price (trust me, in the long run it costs less) than to try and get one built out. If you can't do the work you are at the mercy of those that can. Now your at the mercy of a bad supply chain in two ways. Parts are way behind supply shipments and quality is going to ****. Sentimental value is a whole nother can of worms. How bad do you have to have it? You have to decide what you want and what you are will to spend and then decide where to compromise along your journey.

Also if you are out to flip it consider this, how is the market? are there interested buyers? A quick flip is just that you aren't spending money to fix anything on the car other than maybe getting it tuned up and running with good gas in it.

^^^ I agree IF you can not do the work yourself, buy a done or close to done car. Just like Blind Squirrel says NOW the problem is so many bad new pats and just getting them!!! Sad but so true!

AND if you are doing the work yourself, and have the space, get a parts car that has the parts the builder lacks. Miles ahead of the game.

Here is my warning to you. I did a similar thing you are thinking. Back in November I bought a 1972 Duster that had been 340/727 swapped with 8-3/4 rear as a run and drive. Only caveat was it had had a dash fire. Not a big deal I thought, it runs and drives, that’s half the battle and wiring harness is available. I bought the harness and 80% of the parts back in November and December, and January, etc. Now some of those parts aren’t available. By the way, I had to rebuild rear axle, top of engine, brakes, suspension, and still have whole interior to replace. I’m already in this for more than a legit done car would have cost and I am still working on putting it together.

Any time you buy a "done" car, it is a gamble. Seller's receipts, a truthful seller, good dialogue between buyer and seller. A must really for most.
When YOU build a car, YOU know what work and parts have been used. But how many hours/years will it take for you to get it done? There are reasons you will always find half done projects for sale.

Real estate is all about location and old Mopars is all about condition!!
Perfection can be hard to find and is usually expensive.
A Heinz 57 usually does not appeal to the $ buyer so much.
Check out ALL the numbers to see whats what.
To be really nice, you are talking some body/paint. Can you do it or do you have to pay it done?

i would leave the patina the way it sites for now, maybe try to buff it out a bit just to make it look a tad nicer. I know it won't come out great but i like the look it currently has and i want something i can drive and not have to worry about it getting dented or scratched up.

Pictures and rust extent . I have the most respect for those that work on those rusty cars. Brutal frustration. I picked up a 72 duster totally stock /6. Nice patina, no frills, needed seat upholstery. Paid 7K after tax n title.

i'll try to upload some pics of it this evening

Here is my warning to you. I did a similar thing you are thinking. Back in November I bought a 1972 Duster that had been 340/727 swapped with 8-3/4 rear as a run and drive. Only caveat was it had had a dash fire. Not a big deal I thought, it runs and drives, that’s half the battle and wiring harness is available. I bought the harness and 80% of the parts back in November and December, and January, etc. Now some of those parts aren’t available. By the way, I had to rebuild rear axle, top of engine, brakes, suspension, and still have whole interior to replace. I’m already in this for more than a legit done car would have cost and I am still working on putting it together.

this particular car has a new painless wiring harness installed professionally. it has pro comp gauges that are all functional as well. it also comes with a new classic repro radio and a few other random parts. I'm not an expert by any means but the car does seem fairly solid in running condition, body and interior wise. It's not perfect and will need some work done. the only thing interior wise i would change is taking out the rear roll cage possibly and having the rear seat reupholstered.

Any time you buy a "done" car, it is a gamble. Seller's receipts, a truthful seller, good dialogue between buyer and seller. A must really for most.
When YOU build a car, YOU know what work and parts have been used. But how many hours/years will it take for you to get it done? There are reasons you will always find half done projects for sale.

i would say engine wise and transmission its done enough for me. I would work on little things myself and years down the road get a new paint job when I could come up with that much free cash. I know the market has been all over for these cars. Idk if being a 340 H code car improves the value that much over just a 360 swapped duster. But then again would it matter much if the 340 wasn't original to begin with? also how do i go about checking to see if its #'s matching?

Thank you guys for your responses as well, I know this is sort of a vague post. but any and all info from guys with more knowledge then myself is appreciated

on the right side of the block(passenger side) right above the oil pan rail there should be a set of numbers that match the sequence numbers on the VIN tag on the dash.

same thing on the 4 speed if it is a 4 speed. there is a flat on the passenger side of the 4 speed with the sequence numbers of the VIN. is it worth more numbers matching? yes however, the ultimate in value really IMO is an original unrestored survivor car.it doesn't sound like this car is it with a roll cage and aftermarket gauges, a repaint etc. the reason I like a survivor is because its all there , no parts missing I or someone can take it down for restoration and all the parts are there down to every last nut and bolt. OR you can choose to drive and show it as a survivor.

on the right side of the block(passenger side) right above the oil pan rail there should be a set of numbers that match the sequence numbers on the VIN tag on the dash.

same thing on the 4 speed if it is a 4 speed. there is a flat on the passenger side of the 4 speed with the sequence numbers of the VIN. is it worth more numbers matching? yes however, the ultimate in value really IMO is an original unrestored survivor car.it doesn't sound like this car is it with a roll cage and aftermarket gauges, a repaint etc. the reason I like a survivor is because its all there , no parts missing I or someone can take it down for restoration and all the parts are there down to every last nut and bolt. OR you can choose to drive and show it as a survivor.

yeah the car isn't all original. I'm going to have to take a look on Sunday again when I go drive it again and see if the engine matches the vin. I also think that an original without the cage etc. would be more value. I just didn't know if it being a modified 340 h code car would be worth more than a 340/360 swapped modified non H code.

yeah the car isn't all original. I'm going to have to take a look on Sunday again when I go drive it again and see if the engine matches the vin. I also think that an original without the cage etc. would be more value. I just didn't know if it being a modified 340 h code car would be worth more than a 340/360 swapped modified non H code.
Well, keep in mind the 72 340 was the low compression smog version, if you want performance id say yeah put another engine in it or work that one, or save the numbers matching block if it is for when you go to sell it. Like said there are no pics,ifit is a nice car and its 10 grand or under id say go for it. key thing is like said, rust, and if its all there. Interiors rent cheap. i looked at a 74 Duster in the summer of 2019, 318 Auto car, 5 grand they were asking. it had frame rail rot on the Lf near the shock tower and no interior to speak of, other than that it rand and drove sounded good. I offered the kid 3800 and he dint bite but it was just as well..till I fixed the rot and installed a an interior I would have been in way over budget. i am a stickler for interior but that's me. I cant drive a car with no carpet ,door panels and no headliner the women dont wanna get into a car like that. :)

Well, keep in mind the 72 340 was the low compression smog version, if you want performance id say yeah put another engine in it or work that one, or save the numbers matching block if it is for when you go to sell it. Like said there are no pics,ifit is a nice car and its 10 grand or under id say go for it. key thing is like said, rust, and if its all there. Interiors rent cheap. i looked at a 74 Duster in the summer of 2019, 318 Auto car, 5 grand they were asking. it had frame rail rot on the Lf near the shock tower and no interior to speak of, other than that it rand and drove sounded good. I offered the kid 3800 and he dint bite but it was just as well..till I fixed the rot and installed a an interior I would have been in way over budget. i am a stickler for interior but that's me. I cant drive a car with no carpet ,door panels and no headliner the women dont wanna get into a car like that. :)

Lol yeah i hear you. my wife might kill me. I'd be in the car under 10k. Has full interior in pretty good shape but the front seats are cloth from a newer chrysler vehicle not the originals (prefer original seats) Carpet and door panels all are pretty solid shape as well. I'll try to find a pic of it and upload it

You're gonna have to pay somebody to take it. Send it to me and I'll take it for free.

Lol yeah i hear you. my wife might kill me. I'd be in the car under 10k. Has full interior in pretty good shape but the front seats are cloth from a newer chrysler vehicle not the originals (prefer original seats) Carpet and door panels all are pretty solid shape as well. I'll try to find a pic of it and upload it

Just an FYI. If you locate a set of correct 72 seats for the car get ready for a sticker shock. I should know as I bought a set about 5 years ago and still cringe when see them in the car lol.....

As for the value, you can research the market and make a good determination. If you go into this thinking there is something on the back side think again. Car is cut on with a bar (can be fixed) and also if you go to put the original front end back on the car get ready for a sticker stock.....

It's an odd year A body so if someone has nice parts expect to pay strong money for those items particular to the 72 model..

JW

Looks nice enough from the picture. Three basic kinds of guys buy old cars.
#1. This guy likes to fix up cars for a hobby or profit. Doesn’t mind doing a lot of work and maybe taking years to do it.

#2. This guy likes to drive them and piddle with them. Buys a nice finished or almost finished car. Doesn’t want to do a lot of work, just have some fun with it.

#3. This guy has low skills and / or a limited budget. Buys a rust bucket with big dreams of fixing it up. Most of these don’t end well.

#1 and #2 have the best chance of a happy ending. #3 not so much.

i feel i’m closer to the #2 . i don’t buy rust buckets nor have huge dreams to fix one up. i just want something that’s solid enough to drive and tinker on every so often

i feel i’m closer to the #2 . i don’t buy rust buckets nor have huge dreams to fix one up. i just want something that’s solid enough to drive and tinker on every so often

And from the looks this car may fall into the #2 category.... If you are happy with the Demon frontend roll with it. If you want to put a 72 frontend on it (or 71) then that will become a cost that can get away. Just the Grill alone will set you back a 1K atleast and that's for a nice used one ready to install....

JW

My story was a #2 turned into a #1, but could have easily turned into a #3… and that’s all one car, must be careful when you look the car over. Be sure to drive it, a lot of problems are revealed by that. Don’t do like me and look at it and then not drive it until the day I picked it up… but even then I knew I wasn’t walking away, was already having too much fun in that death trap lol.

Like the old cowboy said " many new people buy yearling colts as a dream" Most times dreams never come true!
Sad but so many old cars are bought as a dream. To make dreams come true, it takes skill, work and money. The more money you have the less skill and work you need to supply!!!
You have skill and time, little money. Look for the car the newbie took ALL apart and it has now sat for how long?? Little bird flying overhead chirping CHEAP!!!!

-
Back