1972 Duster Rim and Rubber combo

-

bthieson

Reaction score
Okay, I have a 72 Duster with a /6. I did a SSBC conversion on the front drums last year, and I'm getting wheel adapters to run the 5/4.5 bolt pattern all around. I will be using the following rim http://www.americanracing.com/wheel...piece polished alloy, forged center&section=V

I want the rim to be a 15" rim, but the width on the front and back is my question. I don't know what rim/rubber combination will not only look good, but also fit without the spring relocation. I want to run a wider rim on the back, and smaller on the front, but how wide or narrow can I go? Also, what size rubber would best go on both the front and back rims.

If you have any ideas or criticisms, I would gladly hear them.

-Bthieson

Stop where you are and toss the wheel adapter in the can and get a 73-76 A-body for the front end,and change to the front disc brake set up and be safe.Wheel adapters tend to crack and brake and do it at the wrong time,and cost big money when they brake.Mrmoaprtech

MRMopartech. :thumblef:
IF you buy rear wheels with a set back space for the wheel adapters, you will need different wheels as the back space will be different if you change to a BBP 8 1/4 at a later date, Just do it once.
I used wheel adapters once!

The wheel adapters would only be for the back wheels. I did the disc brake conversion on the front and can use the 5X4.5 bolt pattern. I just need a temporary solution until I switch out the rear completely. The question was about rubber and rim combination though.

Just to let you know. I have a early B body rear in my Duster(73). 1 in.
wider than stock. I have Weld Pro Stars- 15x8 with 4 1/2 back space. The
tires are 255/60-15s fit the wheelwells very good. You will have more spacing
problems with the adaptors. Good Luck, Green Duster.

Okay, that sounds pretty good. I'm just going with the wheel adapters until I swap out the engine, then I'm replacing the entire drivetrain, including the rear end. I was thinking I would like to run 15X8, but I might need to go with 15X7 on the back with the wheel adapters.

I second the 15 X 8 size rear wheel with a 4.5" backspacing. That will look nice and shouldn't rub. I think this wheel would work with or with out the adapters just fine.

Fronts like you said as small as you can get maybe 5" width
Backspacing shouldn't be an issue with any standard production wheel unless it is made for a low rider

-
Back