1972 Duster Tail Light Gaskets

-

jrcr_15

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was hoping that someone could provide me with a good place to get some tail light gaskets for my ’72 Duster. I bought some years ago off of eBay, and they were very thick/hard and the lights did not sit properly. I am also kicking the idea around of new weather stripping around my doors. Can you recommend somewhere with soft stripping. My dad’s friend bought some for his Duster a few years back and the rubber was very hard and couldn’t close his door properly.

Thanks,

Putting a Steele brand trunk weatherstriping in my 74 Dart and its nice and soft was also lookin at there door ones and they were soft

I have a new set of gaskets that I got with a kit from DMT. They were too thick for me to use - I can make you a heck of a deal on them!
I ended up using some closed cell weather stripping that I picked up at Ace Hardware. It comes in a coil of 25-30' and in different thicknesses and widths. I don't recall the thickness that I used, but it sealed well and seems to be doing what it was supposed to do.
I think I got my door weather stripping from Steele. Good folks to do business with.
C

I was going to suggest Detroit Muscle. I've had good luck with them on my 68 dart.

Hello, I got a set for my 1972 Duster from Detroit Muscle. The first one's that I ordered were to thick. The housing would not pull close enough to let it seal correctly. I called and talked to the owner, he was very polite and we both said if the gasket was half the thickness it would work out just fine. He was nice enough to send me 2 - 3 sets out for free and I tryed them all. Not sure what size fitted better, but I bet if you ask him to remember about the guy from Howell Mi he will remember the story... I hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC00985.JPG
    158.9 KB · Views: 250
Hello, I got a set for my 1972 Duster from Detroit Muscle. The first one's that I ordered were to thick. The housing would not pull close enough to let it seal correctly. I called and talked to the owner, he was very polite and we both said if the gasket was half the thickness it would work out just fine. He was nice enough to send me 2 - 3 sets out for free and I tryed them all. Not sure what size fitted better, but I bet if you ask him to remember about the guy from Howell Mi he will remember the story... I hope this helps.

I remember and we now make them from a softer durometer 3/8" thick material after your help testing. Thanks again!

Thanks for the responce, i see you a lot at the car swap meets next time i see you i will say hi....

Thanks

-
Back