1972 Plymouth Gold Duster

-

Goonchannel

Newbie & Proud
Reaction score
Hello All,

My Name is Jay and I live in Tullahoma, TN. I just picked up my first Mopar car. I am having a blast with this thing.

Stock
225 Slant
904 torqflite
8 3/4 rear with 3.23 gear

Last year my father told me a remarkable story of his first car. At 35 years old, I couldn't believe I hadn't heard it. Pardon the length. This is important as to why I purchased the car.

In 1973 my grandfather took my dad to buy his first car. They never really had a lot of money so it was a big deal in those days to buy a brand new car for your son let alone having one at all. My grandfather wanted him to have a reliable car because he wasn't very mechanical and they did not have the money for tools, etc. On the drive home my grandfather was so proud that dad never saw him ride so high in a seat. He was only 5'3" So all the neighbors could see what he was able to do. A few months later, my grandmother passed away. Not one year later, almost to the day, he then lost my grandfather too. My dad was only 18. You see now, sadly, there are not that many stories to tell. I never had the pleasure of meeting them.

As he told me I could tell he had gotten lost within the story. Like he was sitting in the car with his father once again. By the time he finished the story, the auction ended. He had no idea what I was doing. I've never heard him so shocked. That is one of the only times in my life I have heard my father cry. I was the proudest son in the world. I was riding pretty high in my seat!

I wanted that story to be on my first post so thank you for making it through. I feel as though it explains my passion for this car.

This car is in amazing shape and every part I research is original to the car. I have a lot to learn!

Attachments

• 14 03 08 Duster - first wash (3).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 14 03 08 Duster - first wash (4).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 14 03 08 Duster - first wash (5).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 110
  • 14 03 08 Duster - first wash (6).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 14 03 08 Duster - first wash (7).jpg
    43 KB · Views: 102
  • 14 09 27 Pops sits in the duster (1).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 14 10 28 Duster (1).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 14 10 28 Duster (2).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 14 10 28 Duster (3).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 14 10 28 Duster (4).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 116
Welcome to FABO Jay & great story you've shared with us :thumbup:

Please post some pics when you can....

Love that story, my car is connected to my dad as well! Welcome and enjoy! POST LOTS OF PICS!

Jay

With over a million Dusters sold originally there are going to be a lot of stories such as yours. I have my own and my own reasons for getting a 73 Gold Duster 'back.' Thank you for sharing. I hope allowing your father to remember his father will cost you less than me reliving my memories. :)

Looking forward to the pictures.

BTW, does anyone have any idea how many Dusters from 70 to 76 are still registered?

Dennis

Thank you all so much. I am working on the picture thing. You all are so welcoming. What a breath of fresh air going into this adventure! I am trying to learn how to properly use the forum. Doesn't seem to hard. I'll get pics up ASAP.

Welcome!. There is a lot of knowledge here. From mechanical, to history. If you ever have an issue, or just want to share some informAtion or some new modification you hAve don't to your car go ahead and post it! :)

I added some pictures to the original post. Was that a good or bad idea? Thanks in advance!

Awesome story, beautiful car, welcome to the wacky world of Mopar! Oh we love pictures.
I'm between Crossville and Chat. a few hours away.

Great story and a great looking Duster!!! Welcome aboard!!!

So if I want to find people in my area how would I go about that?

I would start a thread titled Fellow FABO Members Near Tullahoma TN?

That's one of the nicest-looking Gold Dusters I've seen. And the sentiment behind it is beautiful too.

I did exactly that and I thank you. Everyone here is so nice.

That's a huge compliment. Almost all original. It even has the bumper jack and all of its parts.

That's a good looking Duster you've got there! Welcome aboard!

-
Back