1973 340 budget build.

-
so did your machinist do a finish hone with a torqueplate
or just a rough bore that has to be finished once you get the pistons

That I dont know. :( I know he's a good (was) Mopar Engine builder here in the UK and travels to the US to help restore cars. he has a '69 Charger 500 Aero car. But he lost his shop and farmed the machining work out. I know he was happy to install the .20 Pistons in but now you've got me thinking. :(. Maybe I should just take her out to .30?

lots of good info but forged pistons,porting heads etc does not say budget build.
is this a street engine or are you going to race it and what gears?

lots of good info but forged pistons,porting heads etc does not say budget build.

The Forged Pistons

The forged pistons Hellrats listed where cheaper than the KB Cast pistons. I can do the Porting myself to a standard that Im happy with. What could be more budget build than a guy buying the cheapest reliable pistons and spending his evenings porting a set of heads be? :D

Purely street engine. Never raced but would like to have an engine capable of punching a wee bit. Gears will most likely be 3.23.

Cheers. :)

OK...Silvolite cast pistons are very cheap but if you got a deal on the forged pistons that's great.If you know how to port the heads..well that's free!If you are not careful porting you can hurt performance.
With 3.23 gears on the street i would be looking at a shorter duration cam or you may not be happy with the lo rpm performance.Balancing may not be necessary?Looks like you know what you are doing.

OK...Silvolite cast pistons are very cheap but if you got a deal on the forged pistons that's great.If you know how to port the heads..well that's free!If you are not careful porting you can hurt performance.
With 3.23 gears on the street i would be looking at a shorter duration cam or you may not be happy with the lo rpm performance.Balancing may not be necessary?Looks like you know what you are doing.

Thanks for the feedback. I would say I really dont know what Im doing but Im learning as I go :) The link was for $300 Forged Speed Pro Pistons, I already have the bore sized and the Rings purchased. The budget build also includes the time involved, lol.

you go 30 you have the same problem with piston fit
find out what the status of your bore is
you can eyeball and use the fingernail test to see if you have a finish bore corsshatch
see the porting tips at the top of the forum for starters- a little goes a long way

-
Back