1973 Dart Magnum Swap

-

twix

Reaction score
Hi. I am pulling a 5.9 EFI and trans from a 98 Ram and replacing the stock 318 on my 73 dart. LOTS OF QUESTIONS. Can I use the stock harness and PCM from the ram? What about relays/fuses? Do i use the drive shaft from the ram? What mods for the mounts? I know the crossbar for the trans has to be modded, what about linkage? Will the fuel pump from the ram work? Any and all advice is appreciated. I will be posting pictures of my progress. The magnum gets pulled out next weekend. Thanks! Also thank you streetdak and BadAss71. Their forums on the dart magnum swap are exactly what im working on!

Attachments

• IMAG0013.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 431
  • IMAG0032.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 422
  • IMAG0037.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 430
Can I use the stock harness and PCM from the ram?
Yes, if the Ram doesn't have a security PCM, if it does, you'll need to send it out to someplace to get it flashed to remove the security feature ( guy out of Lantana FL does it )

What about relays/fuses?
Yes, The wiring will be a lot easier if you keep the Power Distribution Center from the engine bay. It'll have all the wiring for the fuel pump to injector drivers and coil.

Do i use the drive shaft from the ram?
Depends on how long it is. Any driveline shop will be able to shorten it for you and put the right rear yoke on it.

What mods for the mounts?
Shumacher mounts or build your own. Making your own requires more time than it's worth ( that's what I did, wish I just bought the mounts )
...wait, if you've already got a v8, just shim up your stock mounts and use them. Pretty sure the ears on the block are wider on the 5.9, not sure though.

I know the crossbar for the trans has to be modded, what about linkage?
If your car is an auto now, the old linkage should work. Just use the arm that came on your 727/904, remember the 4?RE/RH is based off the 727 and the 5??/999 is based on the 904. The kickdown uses a cable from the throttle body so that should be good to go, just make sure it's adjusted correctly. The books call it a TV cable ( throttle valve )

Will the fuel pump from the ram work?
Nope, unless you're planning on grafting the part of the fuel tank into yours, not for the faint of heart.
Some of us use the corvette fuel filter / regulator with return or find the earlier magnum fuel rail with built in regulator.
I use a generic Airtex pump after the rust from the tank killed my walbro.

Congrats on the swap, you'll love the fuel injection, I know I do.

I decided against using a big, less efficient Mopar overdrive in my 5.9 swap, and went with a smaller more efficient modified 200R4. Either way still requires significant torsion bar crossmember mods, but with the 200R4, you can leave the floor pan alone.

There are some kits for this crossmember available from places like US Cartool and others that make the swap a bit easier. There is also a company that drops the rear of the transmission so much that a 518 will bolt-in, but it has to wreck havoc on the drive line angles.

The harness has a lot of wires that will be useless for your swap and should be removed. The ECM can be reflashed for significant performance increases.

I spent some time and a bit of money changing the seals, gaskets, valve springs and cam on a junk yard 5.9 long block I ran for a year to get the fuel and wiring set-up in my '68. It ended up having a bad ring pack on the #2 cylinder and would pump only 90 psi, but the rest of them pumped it into the 150psi range. It was fast with a reflashed tune even with the weak cylinder. I had it hooked to a 727 at that time.

I've since upgraded to a fresh 408" motor and 200R4 trans.

The stock harness will work if you want a 10' anaconda coiled on your inner fender. Best to remove the PDC(relay box) and clean it up. The Ram will not have SKiM, only cummins and v10 with very rare exceptions.
It will run much better with a 5.2 AT PCM from a Ram or Dak anyway. Cheaper than a flash to get it on the road.

If you had a 904, the drive shaft should be the same spline, at least a few I have tried have worked. Stock mounts can be modified with spacers etc or Schumacher.

player1up is right on the linkage, you will have to use TV cable or it wont shift.

Dont waste time installing factory pump in tank, I did it before they made FI tanks that bolt right in, nightmare pita . We use Tanks Inc tanks with GPA 4 pumps and have complete an line kits to the magnum fuel rail.

Do yourself a favor and swap out the cam before you put it in, the factory 5.9 turd stick leaves way to much on the table...think 245 HP to 350HP....drop in cam, valve springs and timing set.

PM me if you want a FABO discount on anything....our site has many helpful FAQ's on Magnum swaps as does magnumswap.com. If you have any questions, I have over 75 magnum swaps and 300 harnesses out there running great.

This is what a harness looks like without PDC, PCM goes inside with relays and fuse panel. super clean install.

Attachments

• hotrodharness.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 408
Maintaining the underhood fuse box makes hooking it up fairly simple. The trans sensors will be necessary as will the OBD port, not much else needed wiring wise though. The Ram driveshaft will be too long. The 500s(42RH)/42RE/44RE have a steeper 1/2 than a 518/46 and also are more compact near the case requiring less floor mods.

Looks like fun, really having a hard time with the black engine bay, unless it will be a black car.

Looks like fun, really having a hard time with the black engine bay, unless it will be a black car.

I'm with you on that one. The brighter colors makes everything pop out nicely and makes things easier to identify IMO.

The stock harness will work if you want a 10' anaconda coiled on your inner fender. Best to remove the PDC(relay box) and clean it up. The Ram will not have SKiM, only cummins and v10 with very rare exceptions.
It will run much better with a 5.2 AT PCM from a Ram or Dak anyway. Cheaper than a flash to get it on the road.

If you had a 904, the drive shaft should be the same spline, at least a few I have tried have worked. Stock mounts can be modified with spacers etc or Schumacher.

player1up is right on the linkage, you will have to use TV cable or it wont shift.

Dont waste time installing factory pump in tank, I did it before they made FI tanks that bolt right in, nightmare pita . We use Tanks Inc tanks with GPA 4 pumps and have complete an line kits to the magnum fuel rail.

Do yourself a favor and swap out the cam before you put it in, the factory 5.9 turd stick leaves way to much on the table...think 245 HP to 350HP....drop in cam, valve springs and timing set.

PM me if you want a FABO discount on anything....our site has many helpful FAQ's on Magnum swaps as does magnumswap.com. If you have any questions, I have over 75 magnum swaps and 300 harnesses out there running great.

This is what a harness looks like without PDC, PCM goes inside with relays and fuse panel. super clean install.

this is great info. thanks! that tank is what ive been looking for. good price too! im just getting into my swap too.

We do our best to beat or match scummit. Tanks Inc and our fuel lines are places where we can do it. PM or email off site with any questions.

-
Back