1973 Dart Swinger Owners + 17" Rims

-

Criscobath

Reaction score
I think I've done a pretty thorough site search for maximum wheel and tire width that will fit a stock (no mini tub/leaf spring relocation) 73 Dart Swinger w/ 17s and I've come up with very little, take it to the bank, info on the subject. Well, unless it's those grey Mustang wheels...GOBS of info there.

Starting next week I'm going to get some answers. I plan on ordering up some 17" Cragar Soft 8 wheels and some Yokohama rubber. I'll work on my own measurements using my stock rallye rims as a starting place. Next, I have an appointment with Discount Tire. They have a tech that has some experience with this kind of thing that has agreed to help. We'll see if our numbers jive.

Hopefully I can put this part of my project to bed in the next few weeks. I'll keep ya posted.

If you want to stay with the rallye wheel look, there are 17" billet rallyes out there.

I think I'm going to move on from the rallye wheel look. I still like it, but it's time for something a little new and raw. More than likely I'll have the Soft 8 wheels powdered a different color than the standard black. Maybe gunmetal or gold

I own one of these and it helped me make my decision on wheels/tires. Probably save me a costly mistake. It was definately worth the $60.00 I paid for it although I was shocked to find that the enitre thing is made of plastic.

Good to know!

Using the site above, it looks like the max size 17" tire/wheel combo is as follows...

Front: 17X8 rims w/ up to 4.5 b.s. and 225/45-17 tires
Rear: 17X9 rims w/ up to 5.3 b.s. and 235/45-17 tires

I assume these measurements are allowances based on stock ride height.

That's awesome. Thanks for the info. I am probably still a year or two away from buying rims, but hopefully I will be able to find this thread then.

Do stock Mustang wheels fit ? I have a set off of a '07 in my garage...Hmmm

Here's a shot w/ the current setup. 235/60-14.

dart-8.jpg

i don't have any pics of the car (69' 340 swinger w/ 73' spindles) but i used to run 255 50/15's on factory cop car wheels front and back with no problem. stock ride height. i am planning 17x7 cragars on my 74' though :thumbup:

Do stock Mustang wheels fit ? I have a set off of a '07 in my garage...Hmmm

no, too much backspace from the newer mustangs. most guys here that run mustang rims are using pre- 2004 wheels with 5.72 backspace and even with those you'd need spacers on the back unless you're running a B-body rear end. also, the center register is smaller on ford wheels so you either have to hone down the hub/disc registers or hog out the wheel centers.

Alright, took a crapton of measurement last night. Each side differs some, so I'll only list the "tight" side.

First off, I was totally wrong about my rim size. I thought I had a 5.5" rallye wheels. It appears I have a 7" rallye wheels.

For the sake of simplicity (yeah right!) I'll focus on the rear wheel/tire setup.

The backspace on my 7" rallye is 3 7/8" to the very outside edge of the rim.

The measurement from the rim edge to the sidewall face is 3/4".

The section width of my current 235/60-14 tire is 9". This is .3" less than what most tire sites show for a comparable size tire. This also holds true for the tire diameter, where most sites list 25.1". My tire diameter is 24.5".

The distance from the "face" of the side wall to the edge of the fender lip is 1 1/4" at the nearest point of contact, when the wheel/tire is mounted on the car and loaded.

The distance from the "back" of the side wall to the edge of the leaf springs is a smidgin more than 1/2" at the nearest point of contact, when the wheel/tire is mounted on the car and loaded.

Previous to measuring, I was thinking a 17X9 rim with 5" backspace with a 245/50-17 tire (26.7" tire diameter & 9.6" tires section width). This would have equaled a 2.2" greater tire diameter and a 0.6" greater tire section width over what I have now.

However, if you've ever spent time on your back looking at the inner fender of a Swinger (boy, that could be taken out of context) you know there is a ridge a couple inches up, that runs just above the fender edge, that juts out about 1/4". That 1.1" of extra height and .3" increase in section width at the top of a 245/50-17 tire could be a problem with that inner fender ridge.

I have a feeling the safe bet is a 17X8 rim with 4.5" backspace, running a 235/50-17 tire. The tire diameter on a 235/50-17 is 26.7" (1.8" greater than my current 235/60-14) and the tire section width is 9.3" (0.3" greater than my current 235/60-14) tire. The new 17X8 rim would only have a 5/8" increase in backspace over my current 14X7 rim.

I need some advice. Knowing the numbers above, should I go ahead and try a 17X9 (5" BS) rim with 245/50-17s or stick with the safe bet, 17X8 rim (4.5" BS) with 235/50-17s?

I plan on ordering my rims and tires next week.

I have 17x8s with 4.5" back spacing on my 67 dart. they work fine but when you look at the car from the rear, the fronts track about 3/4" wider than the rears do. I have 225/45-17s on the front and 255/45-17s on the rear. I have another set of rims that are 16x8 and 16x9. The 16x9s have a 5" backspacing. they fit but they are tight and the tires rub a little on that ridge you are talking about when making hard left turns.

I apologize for not keeping this post up do date. There hasn't been anything to post. I'm hoping another member near by will sell me his rims...hint hint...but no word yet. If he isn't into it, I'll move forward with my Soft 8 order. I'll update as things progress.

no, too much backspace from the newer mustangs. most guys here that run mustang rims are using pre- 2004 wheels with 5.72 backspace and even with those you'd need spacers on the back unless you're running a B-body rear end. also, the center register is smaller on ford wheels so you either have to hone down the hub/disc registers or hog out the wheel centers.

Thanks...I thought it was too easy :)

Ian.

I'm moving forward with my wheel and tire order.

FRONT:
American Racing T70R 17X7, 0 (4") Offset Wheels.
Yokohama S.drive 215/50-17 Tires.
This will maintain the same tire diameter as the 205/70-14 tires currently on the car.

REAR:
American Racing T70R 17X7, 0 (4") Offset Wheels.
Yokohama S.Drive 235/50-17 Tires.
I'll gain 1/2" of ground clearance vs the current 235/60-14 tires currently on the car.

I'm tempted to go w/ 0 (4.5") Offset 8" rims in the rear, but I only have 1/2" between the sidewall and leafs w/ my current 14 inch wheel setup. I'd have to use spacers and more than likely, I still wouldn't have room for a wider tire.

I'll post pics when I get em on the car.

Also, I think I'm going to add a 1/4" spacer on each side, in the rear, to better center the wheels in the wheel wells. Will I need longer studs with 1/4" spacers?

Doing so should allow for 1" of outside sidewall flex and 3/4" of inboard sidewall flex. I'm pretty sure 3/4" is about the minimum space allowable without sidewall "scrubbing" under hard cornering w/ 50 series tires.

Longer Studs? A lot will depend on the type of lug nuts your new wheels take. If they are conical seat(stock type) you will figure it out when you try to install them. Shank type probably not.

Using the site above, it looks like the max size 17" tire/wheel combo is as follows...

Front: 17X8 rims w/ up to 4.5 b.s. and 225/45-17 tires
Rear: 17X9 rims w/ up to 5.3 b.s. and 235/45-17 tires

I assume these measurements are allowances based on stock ride height.

I run 17x8 w/ 4.5bs all around(duster though). The fronts fit fine and it should be the same for darts. The rears fit fine, but just sit in a little too far for my liking. May fit just right on a dart.

My AR wheels and Baer .375 spacers are in. I also ordered my tires today.

ART70R17X7.jpg

My local Discount Tire has a great manager who agreed to order in a couple different sets of rear tires to see what fits best.

I'm going to try 235/50-17 and 245/45-17 tires. The 245s should have the same section width as the 235s, but I want to see how they look on the car.

Longer Studs? A lot will depend on the type of lug nuts your new wheels take. If they are conical seat(stock type) you will figure it out when you try to install them. Shank type probably not.

The wheels require conical lug nuts.

-
Back