1973 Duster Brake Issue

-

DusterdTb

Reaction score
I have a '73 Duster with front disc brakes. The car has a very large brake resevoir and I wanted to kno if it can be removed....

I would like to take this out of the brake system, but will the brakes work? Will I be able to stop the car?

What???

Maybe you had better post up some pics of what you are talking about. From the description you are talking about the master cylinder. Maybe you are talking about the power brake booster (I hope).

If you are talking about the master cylinder, the answers are yes, you can remove it (usually to replace). Can you stop the car without it? Yes, when you ram the *** end of the car in front of you.

If you are, in fact, talking about the brake booster - you can convert it to manual disc brakes, but why would you want to?
C

The booster is what I am wanting to remove, and it's only for appearance purposes only. I am removing everything out of the engine well (battery, electronics, etc...), and I have already stripped the heater, air conditioning, wiper jugs, etc...

I guess I'll keep the booster....I will need to stop the car eventually.....

Thanks for the inputs... I didn't mean to scare you by my poor description. I have all brand new master brake cyclinder and lines......

Thanks,

dTb

You can remove it. Put in one of the mopar manual aluminum master cylinders, They are smaller and lighter. I would run new brake lines with only a adjustable proportional valve on the rear. No adjustable valve on the front. I have done this a few times and the car will stop. Do not let someone tell you it will not work. I run my scamp this way on the street and down the track.

Attachments

• IMG_6371.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 171
Then you want a MANUAL master cylinder, check, the pushrod might be different. Keep your combination valve, it may take a tweak, then install 10 lb residual valve to rear, if the master doesn't have an internal; if not, then adjustable valve to rear.70% of braking is done by the front brakes.

-
Back