1973 Duster headers

-

1973duster340

Reaction score
What make of headers fit a 1973 duster 340 the best? I bought my duster about a month ago and the headers are hitting on the suspension on the passenger side. The previous owner also had the front end too low and he had flattened the bottom of the headers on a dip i assume. I am looking to buy a new set and would like to know if there are some that are quality that fit well. I have heard patriot makes some that fit nicely but i thought some members might have some experience with this issue. Thanks

Jeremy

Doug's, find the AutoZone discount,if still available. After that ,overpriced TTI'S.... My guess ,on the old headers: Hooker Super Comps, 1 .75 primaries passenger side ,bottom two tubes.....

TTI shorty, TTI shorty, TTI shorty. By far the easiest install and best fitting, and unlike all the others, it doesn't matter if you have power steering or a z bar or not...

I have Doug's on my '74 Duster with a 340. The only thing that changed in '73 that could have any effect on header fit compared to earlier years was the change to spool mounts, and really that doesn't change anything.

Why they don't list them for '73 I don't know, but they fit.

If you have a 4 speed, you will need to modify the Z-bar to run the Doug's. But that's true of the TTI long tube headers as well. I think the TTI shorty's are the only headers that don't go below the steering link that also don't require the Z-bar to be altered.

I have Doug's on my '74 Duster with a 340. The only thing that changed in '73 that could have any effect on header fit compared to earlier years was the change to spool mounts, and really that doesn't change anything.

Why they don't list them for '73 I don't know, but they fit.

If you have a 4 speed, you will need to modify the Z-bar to run the Doug's. But that's true of the TTI long tube headers as well. I think the TTI shorty's are the only headers that don't go below the steering link that also don't require the Z-bar to be altered.

Mine is automatic.

I just looked up Doug's headers....they dont make any for a 73. Could only find 67-72.

I contacted Doug's about this as I have a 73 Dart Sport and wanted to save the $150 or so on the price over the TTIs. They would not guarantee fitment because of the change in the front suspension between 72 and 73. I believe they would probably fit but, with no guarantee, I'm hesitant about pulling the trigger.

I contacted Doug's about this as I have a 73 Dart Sport and wanted to save the $150 or so on the price over the TTIs. They would not guarantee fitment because of the change in the front suspension between 72 and 73. I believe they would probably fit but, with no guarantee, I'm hesitant about pulling the trigger.

I totally agree. Im looking for some that i know will fit for sure without modification.

Doug's, find the AutoZone discount,if still available. After that ,overpriced TTI'S.... My guess ,on the old headers: Hooker Super Comps, 1 .75 primaries passenger side ,bottom two tubes.....

I second this! See if they have the discount code going on. It should be on their front page. If they do have it AND they have no more in stock. Jeg's will match the price. That's how I got mine. I only paid like $502.00 bucks for my Doug's part number D453 headers.

I totally agree. Im looking for some that i know will fit for sure without modification.

They fit just fine guys. I have them on my '74. The changes in the steering link/pitman arm doesn't change the fit, neither does the change of the engine mounts to the spool type. Those were the only changes in '73 that would mess with header clearance.

If you find someone to guarantee the fit on any of these headers I'd be surprised. Not all of these cars are identical, and it's pretty normal for a set of headers, even the TTI's or Doug's, to require a dimple or two for clearance. On my car the only issues I have with clearance on the Doug's D453's are because of my 1.12" torsion bars. If I had a set of stock bars they would have cleared everywhere right out of the box.

TTI shorty, TTI shorty, TTI shorty. By far the easiest install and best fitting, and unlike all the others, it doesn't matter if you have power steering or a z bar or not...

Since i have an automatic floor shifter i would have to reposition the torque shaft lever. Are there any headers available that require no modification? I have manual steering and its an automatic with floor shifter.

I've installed at least 5 sets of dougs d453's on 73-76 cars or cars with a spool K frame.

The cars are the same sans the steering gear as far as headers are concerned.

Just like they said no go on a 727, for over 10 years! They finally fixed that one.

Order from Jegs... no tax... shhhhh... LOL

I've installed at least 5 sets of dougs d453's on 73-76 cars or cars with a spool K frame.

Just like they said no go on a 727, for over 10 years! They finally fixed that one.

Are the d453-r the same as d453?

Since i have an automatic floor shifter i would have to reposition the torque shaft lever. Are there any headers available that require no modification? I have manual steering and its an automatic with floor shifter.

The Doug's D453's will fit an automatic with a floor shifter without modifying any linkage. The fairly standard "dimple" here or there for clearance on your car might still be needed.

Yeah the Doug's instructions say they'll fit an A body with a 727 as long as you use a mini starter. But, I haven't tried it, so, just going from their notes.

maybe a FSM would help

How? Maybe I'm missing something here?

The FSM's don't exactly say what's different from year to year. I have a '73 FSM, while it shows spool mounts in it's drawings and various related instructions, it doesn't talk about any changes in dimensions or style from the earlier cars. Same for the steering link. It shows the changes in the mounts for the tie rods, but never mentions that anything changed. I also have a '72 FSM, '70, etc.

I'm sure there's sales literature that might talk about the improved engine mounts etc, but nothing that's going to list dimensional changes accurately enough to provide any useful information about how the fit might change with a particular set of aftermarket headers that weren't on the market in their current form when the FSM was released.

The FSM's are really helpful and a "must have" for anyone that wants to be serious about these cars IMHO, but this isn't an issue they deal with.

Dougs; less fabrication to get out the back. Ordering from jeg's make sure you mention the autozone 20% discount!

Coated were $503 to my door recently.

-
Back