1973 duster rear end going out, options?

-

Frostbite

Reaction score
On my new 73 318 duster started to ping. Hopin for a u joint but got the car on jack stands and got under and grabed the driveshaft and rotated it. Alot of free play in the differential before the axles start spining.

What are my options, id like to rebuild if i can. Im not planing on building hp engine for it anytime soon.

What axle is this a 7 1/4?

Attachments

• 2011-01-18_09-53-05_671.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 256
That's the 8-1/4 axle. You'll need to pull the rear cover and inspect it to see what's loose. Could be a badly worn ring and pinion, spider gears worn bad or broken, or possibly the crush sleeve has crushed down to much. Any way about it you need to pull the cover to inspect it.

If you need to rebuild the thing you might want to just get your hands on a 8 3/4

A 1000? I paid 450 for a working one, bolt in and go

8 1/4 rear ends are tough, ran one behind W-2 360. No problems.

I'm just saying if you got to rebuild the 8.25, upgrade gears, and suregrip unit. You might want to go to 8 3/4

You can get a used 8-1/4 axle w sure-grip for under 200. If your gears in existing axle is shot and rest is good, a new gear set is under $200 also. You don't need 8-3/4 for which you will probably have to shell out over $1000 to get right width for a-body.

A 1000? I paid 450 for a working one, bolt in and go

You got extremely lucky to find one for that price. I haven't seen a complete one even with an open unit and crappy gears go for less than $600 lately. If you get one with a sure grip and decent gears their usually at least $900 minimum. Just my observations.

I'll use that 8.25 and hit it with a 300 shot right off IDLE with a d5c slick that suck your sneaker off your foot walking thru the burnout.... not a worry in the world...

-
Back