1973 Duster to 1970-1972 front clip

-

D&R Const

Reaction score
Looking to gather parts needed to convert my '73 front end to a "Shark Tooth" grille. Other than the hood, grille, bumper, and valance, what else is needed? I have not had 1970-1972 parts in hand to compare but is seems like the front fenders are the same where the headlight bezels fit?

Thank You

Not the same on Darts at least. Just went thru this will my 72. Had a 73 Fender on it when I got it. I am working on making it right now, but the valance (for one thing) did not line up and the hood line at the front of the car was not the same.

sb

The 70-72 used a different steel panel under the grille that looked almost flat across the span. It actually had a slight point in the middle with 2 oval shaped openings. The grille itself was retained by not only the lower steel panel but also by a thin metal panel above the grille that spanned across the front of the radiator core support, attaching to the fenders using small tabs welded into the fenders. The fenders were similar in appearance for 70-71. 1972 used a different side marker lamp but was otherwise similar to the 70-71 models. the 1973-76 models do not have those tabs to retain the steel panel over the grille. You'd need to make small "L" brackets to attach that upper panel. I did this to my 74 Duster when I changed to a 71 front end design.
Otherwise, yes the hood and bumper are unique to the 70-72 and 73 models.

3.JPG

43.JPG

45.JPG

Thank you for the pictures and the information. I was hoping to get good news on this and you provided. I was hoping to not have to get rid of my fenders.

I have a 73 duster also build date is 9-72.so the fenders can be used,just gotta weld some tabs?so just need 70-72 hood,grill,rad. Support.?

The 70-72 used a different steel panel under the grille that looked almost flat across the span. It actually had a slight point in the middle with 2 oval shaped openings. The grille itself was retained by not only the lower steel panel but also by a thin metal panel above the grille that spanned across the front of the radiator core support, attaching to the fenders using small tabs welded into the fenders. The fenders were similar in appearance for 70-71. 1972 used a different side marker lamp but was otherwise similar to the 70-71 models. the 1973-76 models do not have those tabs to retain the steel panel over the grille. You'd need to make small "L" brackets to attach that upper panel. I did this to my 74 Duster when I changed to a 71 front end design.
Otherwise, yes the hood and bumper are unique to the 70-72 and 73 models.

View attachment 1715055292

View attachment 1715055293

View attachment 1715055294
What l brackets?So you can use the stock 73 fenders, just change support,grill hood
?of coarse bumper.?very interested on doing this.im also thinking about using earlier doors to because the the 73+ doors need to much plastic trim at top and don't like the setup.i wanna build my own alum.door panels but of coarse the 73+ have that top plastic.

I actually like the 73-76 doors and interior parts better. Personal preference I guess.
The 70-72 fenders only differed from the 73-76 style as far as attachment is concerned at a small spot where the early ones had a steel tab that extended toward the wide steel flat panel that supported the top edge of the grille. With my car, I just made 2 simple brackets out of 14 gauge metal, bent them to a 90 degree angle and used a self tapping screw to attach them to each fender. I had the grille support in place to make sure I installed those brackets in the right spot. I don't recall if I had to drill the core support to mount that wide flat panel...I probably did. This was going on 10 years ago and I sold the car in 2011.

I wouldn't mind adding shark tooth grill to my 68 Valiant, bumper and fenders are same should be pretty straight forward.

THose dudes are spendy! They look great but it seems so damn expensive for a car that was originally a cheap performance car. Nowadays that grille costs about half of what an entire Duster cost when it was new!

And no where near as good looking as the 69 valiant grille

Yes the 69 valiant grilles are bad ***.id use if I could find to get rid of the old brittle plastic and use the metal 69 valiant grille.

Ok I found a 70 radiator/latch support.can the factory 73 latch work or does it have to be a 70-72 latch?

I wanna get rid of this 73 front end asap.im thinking with this support.and a 70-72 hood.and drive it like that till I fond all the other stuff.for the price people want for all original front end parts.i could buy a 2 peice fibergass front end.lol which is rather have.

-
Back