1973 Radiator fitment

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
Couple of questions:
I am in need of a new radiator for my 73 Scamp and I am looking for OEM fitment. I have a 22” wide opening on the rad support with 24” mounting centreline for mounting the rad. I am looking at Mancini where they sell a OER radiator for a 72 a body. Will this rad fit the 73? I am assuming so as the operning is 22. Also they sell a fan shroud as well for a 72, does anyone have experience with the shroud fitting on a 22” OER radiator?

I’ll be interested in the responses too.

The answer to your first question should be yes. By 73 there were three radiator sizes (19, 22 and 26) but by 74 the only radiator sizes in an A body were 19 or 26 inch. The 19 inch rads just have a little extra flange material to fit in the 24inch centreline mounting that was used for the 22inch rad cars. The factory equipped 26inch cars actually had a larger radiator opening core support.
You can fit a 26inch rad in a 22inch core support opening by just drilling mounting holes in the support. Not all of the 26inch rad will open to the ram air coming in past the grill but it still helps.

Does your Scamp currently have a 19 inch rad? Mine does and I’ve always thought about getting a 22 or 26 inch rad. The shroud is just as important and I’ve heard in the past (several years ago) the repo fan shrouds sagged over time. I wonder if that’s still the case.

Last edited:
Part numbers I am looking at on Mancini:
Radiator:
OERMA2249A (brass)
OERMA2238A (aluminum)
Shroud:
MREHF325

I’ll be interested in the responses too.

The answer to your first question should be yes. By 73 there were three radiator sizes (19, 22 and 26) but by 74 the only radiator sizes in an A body were 19 or 26 inch. The 19 inch rads just have a little extra flange material to fit in the 24inch centreline mounting that was used for the 22inch rad cars. The factory equipped 26inch cars actually had a larger radiator opening core support.
You can fit a 26inch rad in a 22inch core support opening by just drilling mounting holes in the support. Not all of the 26inch rad will open to the ram air coming in past the grill but it still helps.

Does your Scamp currently have a 19 inch rad? Mine does and I’ve always thought about getting a 22 or 26 inch rad. The shroud is just as important and I’ve heard in the past (several years ago) the repo fan shrouds sagged over time. I wonder if that’s still the case.
My car originally came with a 22” rad.

-
Back