1974 Dart into a 1972 Duster

-

bthieson

Reaction score
So I've had my 72 Duster for quite some time now. I've done most everything I need to get it "prepped" for a 360, and I'm finally at the point where I just need to throw an engine in.

A 1974 Dart came up for sale in my area and it's looking to be in pretty rough shape externally, but the seller just put a freshened 360(rated around 380hp) in. He's selling the whole vehicle for a decent price so I'm thinking of picking up the car and basically swapping engines and trannys. As I continued to read I discovered that it also has some recently recovered bucket seats too.

I'm curious what all I will need to do to get those buckets to fit in my ride. Also, what else could I swap over from that car to mine that would be advantageous? Engine wise, can I basically just swap k-frames and be done with it, or is there something different about the two years that I'm not aware of?

As far as the seats go you will need to add a set of floor stiffening plates to your floorpans on your Duster. These plates are welded to the underside of the floorpans where the seats studs go through and help to reinforce the seats. You can buy the on Ebay or make your own.

If the Dart is floorshift take the console, console brackets, shifter and floorshift column. All of these parts will easily transfer to your car.

Take the entire front suspension if it is disc brakes. They will be LBP discs and you can transfer the whole spool mount k-frame along with the entire LBP disc setup to your car. If the car has power disc brakes take the brake booster, MC, prop. valve and the brake pedal along with all related brackets and hardware as this stuff will also work well on your Duster. IF you have not yet upgraded your rearend, check to see if the Darts rear is an 8.25 with the LBP. If so this will work in your car as well. Take the radiator and eng. harness as well.

I hope this helps,
Joe

-
Back