1974 Dart Swinger rear finish trim panel?

-

big&bad

Reaction score
The rear finsish trim panel of my 74 Dart Swinger is in a very bad condition...

As I can see it originally has been attached a kind of an overlay, an alloy foil with a light decor like wave-lines...

Does anyone have an idea how to reproduce it, or where to get this overlay?

Does anyone have an picture of a like-new part?

Take some construction paper, mark the outline, transfer it to some Masonite, cut it out, wrap it in some vinyl, call it a day.

Thank you - but I still have some questions...

I don´t know what you mean....

What is "construction paper"? is it like thick paper, as for boxes?

And what is "Masonite"? Like the rear wall from furnitures?

I´m looking for this kind of alloy-foil with this marks on it...
Is it available as foil in the US?

You are talking about the piece that says DODGE on it right?
http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1974/74_Dart_Intro0008.jpg

Is this a metal piece? I'm not familiar with it but the wavy pattern could have been in the metal(or plastic)and then the part was chromed. There are places here in the states that can chrome plastic.

Can you post a close-up picture of what you are talking about?

No it is just a piece of pot metal, that has a decal/sticker that has a fancy design on it as well as the DODGE letters, no one reproduces the decal yet. Im sure if you find a SIGN shop and give them the dimensions they can have a vinyl sticker cut with what ever design you would like.

Or do as I did, use paint stripper to remove the decal and then clean well, tape off any areas you would like to paint and spray down the panel black and then install, DODGE letters I used Letters from a challenger that had the pins on the back, but you can find letters that have the stickey backs as well.

Yes, it´s a metal trim between the taillights...

Within the years, the alloy sticker faded and the letters of DODGE are nearly invisble.

We brushed the metal, and my paintshop wants to paint it black like mopardrt suggested.

But I like the original look - so I decided to buy a used one and make it like original, so I could swap between both styles.

I´ve seen such ornated decals at lot of old US-cars, so I thought it would be possible to get this...

31837080013_large.jpg

-
Back