1974 Dart Swinger VS. The Evils Of Rust!

-
Clean metal, the right size wire and settings, and above all else, practice, practice, practice (did I say practice) on some scrap sheet metal the same thickness as the replacement pans.

Then either order you a patch panel or make one. Or replace the whole floor if you want a factory like install

Thanks, but what can be the right size wire or rod and settings? The replacement pan is 19 ga steel. When removing the old rusty metal, do you keep a narrow edge of the old floor on the sides?

Use the thinnest wire your machine will handle with gas.
I keep .030 in my mig, so I can weld sheet-metal or heavier steel.

And as far as rods, I put the floor pan patches in my Duster using an old Lincoln AC arc welder with the thinnest 6013 rods I could find, it will work, but a pain in the axx. My mig welder was broke when I done that. I do not recommend a novice welder to even try to do that.

Thanks, but what can be the right size wire or rod and settings? The replacement pan is 19 ga steel. When removing the old rusty metal, do you keep a narrow edge of the old floor on the sides?
My welder goes down to .024. I use that. As for the settings, depends on your welder, the power it has, the type of welder etc.

My best advice, pick out a welder in your budget, get a good one, both Holbalt and Lincoln make some good hobbyists style MIG welders for a decent price that will work well. Get a MIG, avoid flux core wire welders. Too much splatter. I would avoid stick welding as well. Anything thinner than a 1/8 inch with a stick takes a lot of practice. I’ve done it and it’s just not recommended as the results were less than quality.

Last thing you want to do while trying to learn welding is fighting a welder that may or may not be working right. Then one you have your welder, go to YouTube and search for videos of sheet metal welding with whatever welder you have.

As for leaving a bit of metal from the old pan, yes you will have too. Which is why I said practice on scrap sheet metal to get your settings fine tuned so you won’t just be burning thru the lip of the old pan left.

I woulda just clipped the beak and tailfeathers and made a 72 outta it lol, just joking. But seriously, these are under appreciated and make great sleepers especially the moredoors.
Go check out my build thread, I clipped the tail feathers

Ok.... I know I haven't posted any real updates since 2015, so here goes...

All the heavy body work is finished. The driver side lower quarter panel was replaced with a 73 style patch so that the marker light will match. I wonder if anyone will ever notice that my 74 has the marker lights in the location of a 73...

The entire trunk floor and trunk extensions have been replaced, as well as a small patch on the driver side fender. The car is now officially rust free!
View attachment 1715265877
View attachment 1715265878
These pics are a few years old. Once the car got to this point, it sat for about 2 years because I bought a 73 Duster "parts car" that turned into project.
I got the duster cleaned up and back on the road.

Before:
View attachment 1715265879

After:
View attachment 1715265880
View attachment 1715265881
Looks like a 69 barracuda bench in the duster.

-
Back