1974 Duster 360

-

Peter J Boncella

Reaction score
I am looking at a '74 Duster 360 as a project for me and my grandfather, I'm planning on rebuilding the engine to get some more power. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the most power out of the 360? I'm looking at better flowing heads, and carb, a bigger cam, forged pistons and rods. If there are better options out there like stroking it maybe? I hear the 408 is pretty popular.

All depends on the planned use of the car and how much you want to spend. If you plan on rebuilding the motor- A good cam, heads, intake and headers should get you a nice little engine. My two cents.

A stroker motor with the right cam and heads will make gobs of torque...perfect for a street machine. But as Murray said, it comes down to how much do you want to spend? Don't forget to improve the rest of the car. All that power means nothing if you can't get to the ground or destroy the car trying.

A stroker motor with the right cam and heads will make gobs of torque...perfect for a street machine. But as Murray said, it comes down to how much do you want to spend? Don't forget to improve the rest of the car. All that power means nothing if you can't get to the ground or destroy the car trying.
yup - more power/trans/drive shaft/rear end/ tires/ sub frame connectors/roll cage/ ooopps should be # 2 BRAKES

x3 on safety first
IMHO if you are going to...forged pistons and rods... and have to have the crank ground you might as well go to a SCAT stroker with dished pistons for pump gas
you are going to have to balance anyway so factor in all the cost. benefits

now do your research on your heads
do not chase high lift flow cus you will never use it on the street

-
Back