1974 Duster high optioned ??

-

cjwatts

Reaction score
I'm looking in buying a 1974 Plymouth Duster for a second A-body. The man I'm buying from didn't know much about it so I had to go look at it to get some more info.

After looking at it, I discovered it has manual disc brakes. How common was this and what're the pros and cons ? Also would they be big bolt pattern or small bolt ? As the hubcaps were on them I couldn't really measure to see.

The car as a 318 auto. Along with this though, it has a hood release, HAD a vinyl top, map light, and windshield sprayers. I managed to get a picture of the VIN but couldn't get a picture of the fender tag.

The car also has a fold down rear seat, how rare was this or was it part of a certain package ?

These are questions I'm not 100% sure on and could use some help as he would not know either.

Any help would be appreciated.

manual disc brakes I like them cuz you have more room with out the booster. It should be BBP inless some thing funny is goin on . I dont know bout the seat im not a duster guy .

Manual disk brakes were pretty common on '74's, they were federally mandated in 75 and by mid 74 almost all of them came with them.They would be big bolt pattern. Pretty much all "pro", the disks work much better than drums, and the manual brakes have a better "feel" than the power brakes of the era. In my opinion anyway. Parts are readily available and they're good brakes.

Vinyl tops were very common. Manual foot pump windshield sprayers came on everything. The map light and hood release were options, the map light was part of a pretty popular interior lighting package, the interior hood release was less common but I wouldn't call it rare. The fold down seat was an option, but also came in the "Space Duster" package in '74. I think it also came with the "Gold Duster" package that year, not positive. But I have seen the fold down seats in Gold Dusters. There are fewer fold down cars than standard, but they're not uncommon or rare.

Sounds like it has a few options, but 1974 was the highest production year for Dusters. If it isn't a factory 360 car it's pretty hard to be a '74 and "rare".

Manual disk brakes were pretty common on '74's, they were federally mandated in 75 and by mid 74 almost all of them came with them.They would be big bolt pattern. Pretty much all "pro", the disks work much better than drums, and the manual brakes have a better "feel" than the power brakes of the era. In my opinion anyway. Parts are readily available and they're good brakes.

Vinyl tops were very common. Manual foot pump windshield sprayers came on everything. The map light and hood release were options, the map light was part of a pretty popular interior lighting package, the interior hood release was less common but I wouldn't call it rare. The fold down seat was an option, but also came in the "Space Duster" package in '74. I think it also came with the "Gold Duster" package that year, not positive. But I have seen the fold down seats in Gold Dusters. There are fewer fold down cars than standard, but they're not uncommon or rare.

Sounds like it has a few options, but 1974 was the highest production year for Dusters. If it isn't a factory 360 car it's pretty hard to be a '74 and "rare".

Yeah, I knew that '74 was highest prod year so I figured it wouldn't be too rare, just liked that it had some cool options on it. Thanks for the help. I've learned quite a bit of things about A-bodys in the last few years but just wasn't sure on these things. Thank you !

It definitely has some useful options, I installed a fold down seat in my standard seat Duster because they're so useful. And the interior hood release is handy now to keep folks out of your engine compartment if you're parking it out in public.

Sounds like a neat car, got any pictures of it?

It definitely has some useful options, I installed a fold down seat in my standard seat Duster because they're so useful. And the interior hood release is handy now to keep folks out of your engine compartment if you're parking it out in public.

Sounds like a neat car, got any pictures of it?

Yes, I do.The front is a little beat up but I'm looking to keep this one as a daily so it doesn't need to be tip top .

View attachment IMG_5016.jpg

View attachment IMG_5018.jpg

View attachment IMG_5017.jpg

Yours is very similar to mine, the only difference's is I don't have the hood release, auto trans or vinyl top, ...I do like the manual discs cause i think they just feel better/better feel..... if that makes sense

I've had probably 6 dusters in 35 years and only two were "space dusters" with the fold down rear seat option,all had power discs except for a 70 i had that was a 318 3 speed on the floor which was drums, and the one i have now.

You're in Fairfield, CA? I'm in Sacramento. I have the entire front clip from my '74 Duster available, looks like it's even the same color as yours. Bumper, fenders, hood, grille, the whole deal. I'm cloning my car into a Demon.

Before with the original bodywork
IMG_5277_zpsfd4c788b.jpg

Now with the '71 dart front clip.
IMG_1955_zps2fb5edca.jpg

The Duster front clip isn't perfect, there's a few dings and dents, but no accident damage. Let me know if you're interested, I'll get some better pictures.

You're in Fairfield, CA? I'm in Sacramento. I have the entire front clip from my '74 Duster available, looks like it's even the same color as yours. Bumper, fenders, hood, grille, the whole deal. I'm cloning my car into a Demon.

IMG_5277_zpsfd4c788b.jpg

IMG_1955_zps2fb5edca.jpg

The Duster front clip isn't perfect, there's a few dings and dents, but no accident damage. Let me know if you're interested, I'll get some better pictures.

Sac huh ? You ever been to the Mopars in the Park ? I've had my car there for the last three years. And I would love to but, I think my plans for the car for right now would be to grey primer the whole think and make it into an O'Banion Dazed and Confused tribute car for the daily drive. and repaint it later on. Would hate to ruin your nice fenders. Good chance I'll need a grille, bumper, and the filler piece in between which is pretty f'd up .

IMG_5277_zpsfd4c788b.jpg

IMG_1955_zps2fb5edca.jpg

and DAMN that duster looks nice with those wheels.

When I ordered my 71 the light package was about $15 and included fender mount turn signal lights, truck light, glove box light and ash tray light The disc brakes was about $20 and power brakes $15 more. A couple $100 bought you a lot of extras.

Sac huh ? You ever been to the Mopars in the Park ? I've had my car there for the last three years. And I would love to but, I think my plans for the car for right now would be to grey primer the whole think and make it into an O'Banion Dazed and Confused tribute car for the daily drive. and repaint it later on. Would hate to ruin your nice fenders. Good chance I'll need a grille, bumper, and the filler piece in between which is pretty f'd up .

I've been a few times. I was there this year trying to sell a '55 Coronet. I usually spend more time in the swap than I do looking at cars, and I don't show any of mine.

The fenders on my Duster are far from perfect, they just look decent from 20ft out. :D Your driver's fender looks to be in better shape than mine, which has a pretty big dent. Anyway, I have all of those other parts, shoot me a PM if you're interested in any of them.

and DAMN that duster looks nice with those wheels.

Thanks! It looks even better with the Demon front end now! :D

-
Back