1974 Duster resto started

-

super70bird

Reaction score
In 2003 I bought a 74 Duster on ebay, sight unseen. I didn't think my high bid would win but it did. Problem was, I live near DC and the car was in San Francisco. A friend said he'd drive it back cross country if I flew him out there so that's how it got here. Anyway I've got some pics of the car at:

http://www.lucketts.net/~super70bird/duster/

As you can see it's one solid car - a little surface rust here and there but in amazing shape. I plan to put a stroker small block in it with a 727 and 8.75 rear end.

Super70bird

Nice looking project. Good choice. My son recently bought a '74 Gold Duster I am helping him with.

Keep us posted on progress,
Jerry

wow, "solid car" is an understatement, the trunk area makes me sick.. the paint is still shiny! great start to what I'm sure will be a fantastic project. maybe change your name to super74Duster !! :)

And Welcome aboard. love to see the dusters

love your 74, same year as mine. yours is a little cleaner though, what are your plans with the car? building a hodrod or back to stock?

vbpgimage.jpg

Pics show progress from the last 3 weeks. Should be on the rotisserie this weekend :)

PB100002.JPG

PB270040.JPG

Color is going to be Alpine White.

Say hello to my little friend! :

PC010008.JPG

PC010011.JPG

Disassembly complete. Next step is to install subframe connectors. I really think this car was never driven in the rain. It was owned by an Asian woman since new when she donated it (!) to a charity who then listed it on ebay. I paid $2276 for it on ebay. Look at the pics to see the condition of the car. All original paint.

PC130010.JPG

PC130011.JPG

PC130012.JPG

PC130013.JPG

Wicked solid. No such car in that condition up here in the North East.

Boy I thought my '76 was a clean SoCal car but you've got me beat. I wish the paint on the outside my car looked as good as the paint on your floorboards.

Update - finally got 1 connector done. Took a few weeks cause it gave me an excuse to buy a plasma cutter and other tools :) This is the first time I've cut/welded anything so don't expect anything great. This is for the passenger side, hopefully I'll get better and the driver's side will look better. Or, I could just throw these out and buy some.

I used Tacfire11's idea of notching the connectors so that I don't have to cut the floorboards.

P1300001.JPG

P1300002.JPG

P1300003.JPG

P1300004.JPG

P1300005.JPG

Looks great man killer paint on that thing for being as old as it is,verywell takin care of over the years

...technically everyone has money

My guess is the Kid is referring to the large shop, rotisserie, MIG welder, and other items visible in the photos, that not all of us have at our disposal. I, for one, am jealous.
icon9.gif

Jerry

Nice job, by the way.

-
Back