1974 Duster resto started

-
"Must be nice to have money" ? Yes, it is nice to have a good job and make a good living by either getting a good education or busting your @&&. It all depends on what your goals are and how motivated you are - this is a great country, there are very few limitations to keep you from achieving whatever you want. If your young, and you want "more stuff" when your older (like rotisseries, lifts, plasma cutters and Mopars) there's nothing to stop you. By the way 10 grand for the Superbird back '84 - if only we all had known ! Nice shop and nice cars - I plan to build mine (shop) in a few years, I'll always have a project car, it's a disease.

duh...not everyone has that much...it would be nice to do that.....uhhh not sure what you meant by that....

yeah, well obvously he worked his a%% off to get to the point were he is to have the tools and workspace he has. he worked for what he has and that doesnt mean it was all handed to him on a silver platter. I say good luck to him, thats a hell of a car.

...74 sport hit it on the head...how did this turn into a lecture? i work my butt off being a mechanic...how does working hard have anything to do with "must be nice to have money" for the sensitive people out here..thats a compliment...

70superbird is doing a amazing work...
It ain't what you got it is what you do, i don't have money at all, i'm out of job , but even i can do a car grill like that 70superbird has, it is how much work you can do, every thing what oyu can do is less money to someone else...
And it is really and; everyone can do a car and restored a car, question is, are you ready and willing to do it?
It takes time and hell of learning but it really pay's of when you are done( which never happens) meaning, when you learn to do something, after a while you noticed you can do better...

I do not know a lot of cars, i've been with MoPatrs over 20 years and noticed that every day i learn something new, and if i don't know something, i ask, or ask somebody to show me...

Of course, money helps, but it aint make you wiser...

You can do whole restoration for your self, if you are duilding a race car, that is something else...
And you are able to do that also, asking ain't cost you a dime, make a mistake while you are building a car, millions...

really nice project,,we're practically neighbors,lol when the weather breaks we should swap some show info

May I ask where you purchased your rotisserie? I am going to be in the market for one in the next six months. Thanks!

I got the rotisserie from

http://www.accessiblesystems.com/

Mine is the 3000 lb, fixed height model with rubber tires.

I'll make 1 comment on the money issue - I'm 46, never been married and no kids. That was never my goal - my goal was to have a few Mopars and a nice garage someday!

Thanks for all the comments. Been sick the last few days so haven't been able to work on the Duster.

Nice Garage!!! I agree If you want something work for it and get it. I too am jealous... I need one of those rottisseries too.I'll have one for the next project. and I agree that car did not need restored. WOW it was in factory condition... my question is WHY?

Super70Bird, the shop looks amazing. Not having a family to support defiantly frees up some money I'm sure. Most of us go the other way but since you said your goal was never to get married or have kids you kept to that and I'm sure your happy how things are for you. I too wish I had space like that to work. Trying to do something in the wrong space or wrong tools is just a waste of time. All your cars like beautiful and that duster defiantly doesn't need a resto but have fun with it anyway.

I'll make 1 comment on the money issue - I'm 46, never been married and no kids. That was never my goal - my goal was to have a few Mopars and a nice garage someday!

Smart man ! I love my wife and kids but man do they suck the life out of me, LOL :-D

Update - got the connectors and torque boxes installed. The torque boxes I got from Auto Rust - be aware that they need a LOT of rework to fit. Hammer time! Next step is the Alston roll bar which arrived today.

P3260006.JPG

Dang, been over a year since I've updated this But I'm still on it. Built a paint booth frame, just have to cover it in plastic.

P5030006.jpg

Progress - got the undercarriage/engine compartment blasted and going to prime it this week. What a messy job, but I did it and in 90+ degree weather. NOT FUN.

blast1.jpg

blast2.jpg

Good job, super70bird.
Since its been a year since the last update, how did the Alston roll bar installation go for you? Did you go with a 4-point or an 8-point? Mild or 4130 steel? Did you weld it in yourself? I think I can partially see it in the blasting pic but can't tell for sure if its a 4 or 8-point.

-
Back