1974 Duster Steering Response

-

mwatson187

Reaction score
I assumed the steering responsiveness would be less than my modern car, but this thing is pretty darn loose. I can turn the wheel about 3 inches without any response from the car. The previous owner set it up with power steering, but I've been reading a bit saying that manual might get me a little more in tune with the road while driving. Is that more about the fact that I have to put more effort into steering or an actual difference in steering tightness?

What can I do to make the steering more responsive? I really don't know much about this, so pardon the noob questions. Would I need to convert to manual steering? Or can I get the steering to be pretty responsive while using power steering? I'm trying to make a daily driver, so I don't need anything crazy, but I honestly don't even know where to begin. :(

Standard Mopar steering is known for a lack of road feel and being over-assisted, but a properly rebuilt box installed correctly is not that bad, especially with a smaller diameter steering wheel. The first thing that you should check is the the bolts that attach the box to the K member, make sure that they are torqued to spec (yes they're a ***** to get to), if the're too loose play in the steering goes up dramatically. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch for movement at the box. Then check for play in the tie rods and idler arm. If that all checks out, you can consider a replacement higher effort box from Firm Feel or convert to manual. If you go manual, don't just install a junkyard gear, make sure that it is in good condition and adjusted properly to factory service manual specs. Flaming River makes a new manual box with a 16:1 ratio. Awhile back Mopar Action had an article by Ehrenberg that discussed modifications to the P/S pump to increase firmness, don't remember which issue, but you can probably find it on their site.
If you convert to Manual, you'll need to change out your column for a manual version or buy the extension from Firm Feel. Good Luck!

I believe there are two adjustments you can make on the gearbox that may tighten it up a bit. (A least I was able to on my manual set-up). Check the fluid & level. But depending on the age/mileage of your box, may need a rebuild/replacement. Just a thought... Sure the PS FABO folks will chime in for you.

Pat

-
Back