1974 Duster

-
An updated picture, some tinkering in the bay the last two days..

Just a picture taken in a friends driveway with his 'driod cell phone.

Putting some miles on the car so I can go racing next month..

Duster looks great! Stripes make a world of difference! just how i pictured it too!..why a PITA tho?..whats the easiest way to lay the stripes from rear to front? or at the door first? just for future reference?..lmk thanks T

Duster looks great! Stripes make a world of difference! just how i pictured it too!..why a PITA tho?..whats the easiest way to lay the stripes from rear to front? or at the door first? just for future reference?..lmk thanks T

1) The doors were done first to line up off the door handles and lock mech, the rest was easy except for...

2) The back panel which took longer than the rest of the car! cut out everything as close as you can to the decals including the center.

Pictures from tonights Berlin Turnpike Cruise..

Pulled the tailshaft housing and replaced the output shaft bushing (a long story,) transmission mount, pulled the right lower control arm and replaced the bushing (no fun) and replaced the "short" lugnuts with 2 inch long pieces from Ebay ($18.95 shipped)

A minor detail but I think it looks nicer.

Just a quick shot- Picked up a few decals from Performance Car Graphics, some minor differences from OEM but not enough for me to get excited about.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN9GmjZ7h3I"]YouTube- 1974 Duster with Summit Racing exhaust[/ame]

Audio clip of my Duster with Summit 2.5" exhaust with H-pipe, 5.9 Magnum engine and exhaust manifolds. Taken from about 6-8 feet behind the car, off to one side a bit with a Nikon Coolpix camera.

Duster and friends Super Bee at Ocean Beach show New London CT. The picture from the back seat was taken by my daughter and thought it looked pretty cool.

Rims are on order for my slicks, Mopar Day at the valley is coming up quick!

Anyone want to make predictions on what the car will run on the 25th? Here is the parts rundown.

Engine- '94 5.9 magnum with Enginequest heads from Hughes with 1.92/1.62 valves, Crane 2020 roller cam with 1.7 roller rockers (460/480 lift) windage tray, Performer RPM intake with 625 cfm AFB. 318 exhaust manifolds with original head pipes that open to a 2.5" system with H pipe.

Trans- 904 reworked with extra clutches and valve body, stock 318 converter.

Rear- 8.25 with 3.55's and a locker, 26" x 10" M&H Racemaster slicks.

I'm predicting well into the 13's with the 318 exhaust manifolds being the weak point in the package, 340 manifolds with 2.5" headpipes this winter.

I ran 13.80's with a 318 (stock 318 heads and 455 lift cam) and a stick a long time ago, with the bigger engine and better heads 13's should be a no brainer but the 318 had headers..

If I get a good hard launch I'm thinking it will dip into the 12's, what say you?

Stuff to do before racing-

Install trans cooler, pick up extra lines and clamps.
Mount and balance backup slicks
Reset float levels (lower)
New alt and power steering belts.
Grab larger carb off GTX and freshen up.
Spares for the track (plugs, wired, ignition module) gas can with 94 octane.

She's come a long way Gary!

Lookin' great buddy

Thanks! Slow but sure!

Mounted the slicks on the new rims yesterday (In my driveway by hand with tire spoons!) was smooth enough on the jackstands up to 130 mph so I think I'm all set there.

Tomorrow I'll dig out the other rims and steal the carb off the GTX.

Man,...what a facelift from the first pics!!

You did a wonderful job. I think a 12.78/12.80ish is likely with your current setup.

Great job man...I hope mine comes out as close to my goal as yours did....its beautiful.

Prine

Man,...what a facelift from the first pics!!

You did a wonderful job. I think a 12.78/12.80ish is likely with your current setup.

Great job man...I hope mine comes out as close to my goal as yours did....its beautiful.

Prine

Thanks! I have been looking at yours as well (I try to check out all the 73-75 Dusters on the board, always had a soft spot for them) you have made some great progress.

Why the fuel pump in the tank? Are you planning to run EFI in the future? Or just looking to avoid vaporlock?

Not an idle question as the next project I'm working on will have EFI with a Megasquirt 3 controller.

Not much work on the Duster this week- Cleaned out the trunk yesterday, loaded the slicks in the back, some minor cleaning. Wire wheeled some 15 x 6.5 Rallyes and painted and I'm going to mount the 24.5 x 8.5 slicks on them today.

Going to hit Autozone for trans cooler hose so I can hook up the aux trans cooler and belts (the ones on the car are 20+ years old from my collection! be a ***** if one crapped out 3 hours from home)

The cooler and belts should be done later on, the only other thing to is wait for the crab linkage adapter to come in from Ebay (I freshened up the 750 off my GTX the other day) and pack the truck with stuff for the track.

Why the fuel pump in the tank....I am planning on installing a conservative sized single turbo IN my engine bay in the upcoming 2-3 years...after I get the car running and driving and feel confident in the drivetrain and brakes, and and its dependability....therefore I hypothesised the Walbro 255lph (90gph) in tank pump, with 3/8 feed/return, with a Mallory 4309 Bypass 1-15psi regulator for carbueration....Blowthrough Forced Induction.

For less stress and the ease of installation,....I have since decided to just get the car up and running on the original fuel system and add the new lines, and system later....I bought a mechanical pump and returned the pickup to original configuration.

Trans cooler and belts are done, little slicks look like a no go though =(

Mounted them on 15 x 6.5 rallyes and they smack right into the leaf springs, even with a 1/4" spacer it looks really dicey.

I'm going to see if I can find a wheel with a 3" offset but it doesn't look good.

-
Back