1974 front bumper impact absorber

-

Duster360LA

Reaction score
I am working on a resomod of a 74 Duster (originally 318 with 3 speed floor shifter). The previous owner took much of the front end apart and there are no impact-absorbing mounts for the front bumper. I'm having difficulty even finding anything that would allow me to make a pattern to fab some supports. There are a pair for a 74 swinger, but I don't know if the bolt patten for attaching the bumper is the same. Any thoughts/ideas?

I am working on a resomod of a 74 Duster (originally 318 with 3 speed floor shifter). The previous owner took much of the front end apart and there are no impact-absorbing mounts for the front bumper. I'm having difficulty even finding anything that would allow me to make a pattern to fab some supports. There are a pair for a 74 swinger, but I don't know if the bolt patten for attaching the bumper is the same. Any thoughts/ideas?

Your '74 may not have had shock absorbing bumper mounts to begin with. What is the build date of your car? If it's from 12/73 through the end of production in July of '74 it most probably never had shock mounts. Only the '74 model year cars built between 8/73 and ~12/73 had shock mounts

If your '74 has frame rail mounts that look like this, you could skip the shock mount entirely and use standard brackets. This is my '74 Duster, which never had shock mounted bumpers.

img_6170-jpeg.jpg

Thanks, that is exactly what my frame rails look like - and it's a 12/73 build. Appreciate the help!

-
Back