1974 Plymouth Duster, factory bondo at the windshield pillar?

-

okan74duster

Reaction score
I have made the mistake of peeling off the vinyl top of this 74 Duster because I am repainting it with rattle cans.

The top is pretty clean (will post pics later) EXCEPT for that pillar area at the windshield, encircled in red in the pic.

My buddy who is also a MOPAR enthusiast says it may have come from the factory since its on both sides perfectly symmetrical, it does look like its conjoined from the roof to the bottom and it seems like it is on purpose.

Now I have two options;

1) Bondo it back, and install a new vinyl
2) Bondo it back, and paint. My friend do not recommend this option because the bondo will wear off in a few months or so.

Thoughts on this?

001-1975-plymouth-duster-front.jpg

Edit: It seems like its the attachment point of sorts

Vinyl top cars came with bondo at the roof seams. Non vinyl cars came with lead. No matter what came out refill it first coat with Dura-glass. Its more flexible and water proof. Will not bubble.

Finish it off with a Light weight plastic filler. Always use Dura-Glass on any welded panel seams for the first coat. Remember to clean out the seam sealer in the gutters. Epoxy prime and re seam seal before paint

Vinyl top cars came with bondo at the roof seams. Non vinyl cars came with lead. No matter what came out refill it first coat with Dura-glass. Its more flexible and water proof. Will not bubble.

Finish it off with a Light weight plastic filler. Always use Dura-Glass on any welded panel seams for the first coat. Remember to clean out the seam sealer in the gutters. Epoxy prime and re seam seal before paint

So my friend can weld. Would it be wise to weld it shut? Or is there a specific reason why it has bondo instead?

I have made the mistake of peeling off the vinyl top of this 74 Duster because I am repainting it with rattle cans.

The top is pretty clean (will post pics later) EXCEPT for that pillar area at the windshield, encircled in red in the pic.

My buddy who is also a MOPAR enthusiast says it may have come from the factory since its on both sides perfectly symmetrical, it does look like its conjoined from the roof to the bottom and it seems like it is on purpose.

Now I have two options;

1) Bondo it back, and install a new vinyl
2) Bondo it back, and paint. My friend do not recommend this option because the bondo will wear off in a few months or so.

Thoughts on this?

View attachment 1716107346

Edit: It seems like its the attachment point of sorts

Don't use bondo, use bondo glass or duraglas... the **** is like cement and will never come off. But put it on well cause sanding it sucks :)

So my friend can weld. Would it be wise to weld it shut? Or is there a specific reason why it has bondo instead?

It's already welded.. just need to fill the gap and paint.. That's where the roof panel meets the a-pillar, totally normal

-
Back