1974 PLymouth Duster Front Height Problem.Please Help

-

107jm

Reaction score
A couple of days ago my friend took to his 74' Duster to be lowered (front was really high) I don't know exactly how they lowered it, but they were using an impact wrench to lower the car.They were using it under the car while it was on a lift.
All in all the dumb mechanic ended up stripping the bolt and some small metal block (the size of a dental floss box( a bit smaller with sharp corner and four grooves near the edges) that the bolt went it to.
He tried putting in a bigger bolt and ruined everything.
So now were trying to find a new bolt and metal block for him but we can't find it anywhere.

All the info I have is this
"lower control arm adjusting bolt"
they were lowering the front of the car by tightening some bolt.
they didn't cut the springs.

Might need to get a whole lower control arm. I don't think a lot of people separate them. There are plenty of other years that would work (for the block and bolt), but I don't know them off the top of my head. Hopefully someone can chime in. They shouldn't have been using an impact wrench. Tell your buddy not to go to that same place to get it replaced. It's actually not a hard job, and the 2 of you should be able to figure out how to do it, or get a manual for it.

Thanks, Someone on yahoo told me it could be this
"The block and bolt are called the torsion bar adjustment assembly"
I tried looking it up on Google,classic industries,jegs and summit;Nothing : /
Me and my friend might resort to looking for a replacement at a junkyard. The problem is I live in L.A., The junks are filled with hondas and nissans..Well never find it here.

They are not too hard to get out, just back the bolt out until it pops out and you should be able to jiggle the block out. I took mine all the way out when I was cleaning up my lowers.

As far as adjusting, once the new one is in, try to get the bolt seated into the arm of the adjuster - then set the car on level ground. If it still seems too high, lower it by 1/2 inch increments. Bounce up and down on the front end to seat the bars, and then see if that gets it low enough.

After replacing, you can also just get it high enough to drive and then take it to a reputable alignment shop, and they should be able to set it for you.

Sucks your buddy has to go through this.

Hey there 107jm, the part that stripped out is called a torsion bar adjuster. Mancini racing sells them new for $33 a pair. Hang in there, you may have to look around for a mechanic that knows old mopars. Try going to a mopar club in your area and ask them.
Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly

-
Back