1974 power wagon questions

-
Lol, My '79 Sno Commander W200 360 2 barrel auto got a whopping 9 - 10 mpg way back when as I recall. Ya' understand "oink, oink"?

View attachment 1715264280
20171230_103435.jpg

9-10mpg sounds about right but i have the 318 4bbl in my '74

I got 14.5 mpg with my power wagon with a 318 4-speed, 3.55 gears, just keep it below 65 mph on the highway.
I put a modified 360 mag in it and it still gets 14.5 mpg but it pulls way harder.
I accepted a deposit on it from my neighbor, and am already getting sellers remorse, and it has not left my driveway.

8Sf1gb.png

8Umodb.jpg

I got 14.5 mpg with my power wagon with a 318 4-speed, 3.55 gears, just keep it below 65 mph on the highway.
I put a modified 360 mag in it and it still gets 14.5 mpg but it pulls way harder.
I accepted a deposit on it from my neighbor, and am already getting sellers remorse, and it has not left my driveway.

View attachment 1715264526
View attachment 1715264527
Give him his money back and keep it.
I sold my 68 then a year later bought it back.

What was the name of that thread? On General discussion, a more purposeful truck? I took a 76 power wagon out of the weeds that hadn't been ran in 20 years with a 318 and a granny 4-speed and put a 360 automatic cut the floorboards out put in new carpet.... And drove it to Colorado and gave it to my son.
Well he broke a headlight bulb retainer and I can't find one for him LOL
I remember that truck. I spent a lot of time on it. And then you gave it away.
Are you talking about the ring that goes around the headlight and holds it in? If so maybe I can help you out with that.

What was the name of that thread? On General discussion, a more purposeful truck? I took a 76 power wagon out of the weeds that hadn't been ran in 20 years with a 318 and a granny 4-speed and put a 360 automatic cut the floorboards out put in new carpet.... And drove it to Colorado and gave it to my son.
Well he broke a headlight bulb retainer and I can't find one for him LOL
I have maybe 6 spares...unless they are rectangular headlamps.

I would put a AL6 MSD on it. Tweak the crap out of the distributor and the carburetor and maybe go to a lighter weight oil. Go dual exhaust or headers.
A good valve job will help also.

I have a GM style HEI ignition I need to install, a new distributor, and dual exhaust. The valves seem pretty good, the heads in general are doin what they should for what they are...garbage lol.

View attachment 1715264526
View attachment 1715264527
Those gears and the 4 sp probably help a bit with mpg, vs my 3 sp and 4:10's. Thats a nice looking engine!!

On our 9 state - 3700 mile++ vacation in September, I averaged 13 mpg in this '77 full-time 4x4 Ramcharger. 360, 600 cfm eddy, dual exhaust, 3.55 gears, automatic, 31" tires. Average speed was about 60 mph. Has plenty of power, or at least what I'd expect it to have.

DSCN1040.JPG

Those gears and the 4 sp probably help a bit with mpg, vs my 3 sp and 4:10's. Thats a nice looking engine!!

I would say the gears make a difference,
The trans would still be 1:1 in drive.

Boy , you don't want much . Leave it alone . 360's are awful on gas . Power Wagons are for work . At about 65 mph they are not happy .

I would say the gears make a difference,
The trans would still be 1:1 in drive.

True enough but the engine wouldnt have to rev as high with a 4th gear even if they both had the same rear end ratio. Lotsof things I once knew I niw can't remember, am I wrong?

True enough but the engine wouldnt have to rev as high with a 4th gear even if they both had the same rear end ratio. Lotsof things I once knew I niw can't remember, am I wrong?
This is true if your 4th gear is an overdrive.

Power wagons regardless of trans are all still 1:1 in high gear.

Also the stock no-power 318, and modified 360 get the same mileage.

My dad still has his 78 power wagon he bought new. 360 4-speed. 14.5 mpg
He was an accountant, so every gallon of gas was recorded in a log book.
From brand new until 240,000 miles it basically got the same mileage.
He quit driving it a few years ago, for a more modern truck.

Well, I do not believe the Minnie winnie is a 1975. I think its a '72, 73 according to the grill

On our 9 state - 3700 mile++ vacation in September, I averaged 13 mpg in this '77 full-time 4x4 Ramcharger. 360, 600 cfm eddy, dual exhaust, 3.55 gears, automatic, 31" tires. Average speed was about 60 mph. Has plenty of power, or at least what I'd expect it to have.

View attachment 1715264659
With the aeridynamics of a barn,that aint half bad...

Lol. Thought we were talking about a power wagon.

The power wagon is a 74 with a 318, the RV has a 360, I was thinking about swaping some parts around between the two vehicles to try and get the most power and mpgs I can.

-
Back