1974 Valiant Scamp 318/904 feels sluggish

-

elementaltoad

Reaction score
I have been working on a 1974 Scamp that I got in a trade, the car has a ATK DD03 replacement longblock, Edelbrock 4bbl 1406 and a rebuilt 904 transmission.

So far I have:
Rebuilt the 1406 with stock jets and rods, set t-port sync, installed orange springs (5" HG)
Installed a new distributor, set air gap, timing set at 14* initial
Set idle in neutral to 950rpm, idles at approximately 650RPM in gear
Set kickdown to full back at WOT
Mixture screws are set for best vacuum (16") and best idle quality, no popping, puffing or sputtering

The problem I am having is that while driving the car it doesn't seem to want to take any throttle. Light throttle low speed acceleration is fine, but as soon as I put my foot into it at all to get up a hill or accelerate quickly it just seems to bog. It doesn't buck, ping or backfire. If I stay in it, it will slowly come alive and start to pick up RPM and speed quickly.

I have noticed too that on hot restarts I get what sounds like a spark knock. I am going to pull timing out of it and set it at something like 6* BTDC, resync the t-ports and try to get a decent idle out of it. I started with silver springs, and moved down until the car stopped sputtering under heavy throttle. But maybe I went to far?

Does anyone have a similar set up that might have ideas on why this thing feels like such a slouch under heavy throttle?

It's a stock long block as far as I know. Don't have the tools here yet for a compression check, but it is a new motor, something like 17k miles on it. I put the silver springs (8") back in and it gets up and goes pretty good for a stock 318 when I go WOT, so I am going to step back down to the next spring which is pink (7"), BUT the light throttle stumble is back when leaving a stop sign or accelerating up hill.

I still feel like the 14* is too much for a stock 318, we have pretty good air here so I'm going to drop it back down to 8* BTDC initial.

I finally has some time and decent weather after the holidays to dig back into the car. I tried tuning the carb but it was all over the place. It wanted to be super rich on the passenger side mixture screw, and still seemed lean. I started spraying some carb cleaner around the intake and immediately it bogged the car, choked and almost stalled it. Well that's a giant red flag. Even though it stayed steady around 15" vacuum, it obviously has a huge vacuum leak.

Whoever installed the Edelbrock intake reused the stock stamped gaskets, they are amazingly thin, I've seen MLS gaskets, but one layer? I've also been told they won't match up well enough to the ports on the 318/360 intake. Anyway, some of the bolts were not even hand tight and after removing the intake, the gaskets had been sucking in so much oil, unmetered air, and coolant I'm surprised it ran at all! I have new Edelbrock gaskets specifically listed for this intake that will be going in tonight. Hopefully it will run at least a little better...

16195534_1289997107727249_534333422223665331_n.jpg

-
Back