1975 904 for slant 6

-

Johnny71dusty

Reaction score
What is a good converter to get for stock 198 slant 6 ? Stall and diameter I see 10&11 inch . Not looking for any performance . Just good for cruising and lots of highway trips.

Not the same car this 1975 2 door dart if you must know . It's green , it has 4 15" wheels .

I work on lot of projects that aren't my own cars.

Another thought . We have a a500 4 speed truck trans here. But for small block . Wondering if they made a a500 4 speed for slants ? That would be amazing upgrade for slant cars in future .

. Wondering if they made a a500 4 speed for slants ?
No. They did have adapter plates to mount a V8 727, mid 60's truck. Hard to find but they are out there.
Pretty sure they are the small block pattern.So the A500 should work. The guys on the Slant 6 thread can help with that info.
As far as your converter question I don't think a 11'' converter will fit in the Slant's bell housing.

No. They did have adapter plates to mount a V8 727, mid 60's truck. Hard to find but they are out there.
Pretty sure they are the small block pattern.So the A500 should work. The guys on the Slant 6 thread can help with that info.
As far as your converter question I don't think a 11'' converter will fit in the Slant's bell housing.
all ones coming up in my search for slant 6 / 904 converters are 10 -11.25 inch range . And stall all over the place . Bud not seeing what stock was . My guess 1500 ish ?

Yes a stock converter will be in the 15-1800 range.
Ask with a wanted ad. I'm sure someone on here will have what you want.

Appreciate you but not buying used converter. Theyre to cheap to take a risk of doing all the work to Put on in and doesn't work right . Thank you 1500-1800 ish is them what I'm looking for . Any idea what diameter is ? Rock auto doesn't even have listed nor any parts stores . They all show the 727 converter as the option and I know they are not the same

It will take me a day but I do have a 71 904 and converter in storage and I can measure it for you.

That would be AmaZing . I'm not sure why all parts stores keep showing the 727 converter as the part I need . Almost no slant cars has 727s .( yes I know some did ) but not enough to consider . Rock auto shows this 727 as only option for 70-76 slant 6 cars .

080D01C6-680B-45E5-B6CE-7279C81F96BB.png

I measured the converter case outside diameter. 10 1/2'' This does not include ring gear.
I would say the internal size is 10'' But looking at Converter companies they show it as 11''
Yeah Rock Auto does not always list things right.

Last edited:
So I looked up Florida Torque Converters and they list a 1975 904 Dodge Slant 6 as a 11''.
I also checked for a 1971 as that is what I have and it shows the same converter part # 12-3
Part # 12-3 $289 with a $100 core charge.
I'd call 800-790-0039 for assistance.

So I looked up Florida Torque Converters and they list a 1975 904 Dodge Slant 6 as a 11''.
I also checked for a 1971 as that is what I have and it shows the same converter part # 12-3
Part # 12-3 $289 with a $100 core charge.
I'd call 800-790-0039 for assistance.
Thanks much this is perfect

Where did I disagree ? I'm getting Great Info . I'm joking about jumping out the switch

Post 10 red X said it was yours. No problem just a slip of the finger I guess.
I hope you find what you are looking for. Don't forget to follow up with a post.
This sparked my curiosity that caused my digging for a answer.

Post 10 red X said it was yours. No problem just a slip of the finger I guess.
I hope you find what you are looking for. Don't forget to follow up with a post.
This sparked my curiosity that caused my digging for a answer.
I don't know what this means . I didn't write post 10 .

Not the post, the red X at the bottom left.
I'm sure it was a mistake. really doesn't matter. All is good.
Good luck with your search.

What is a good converter to get for stock 198 slant 6 ? Stall and diameter I see 10&11 inch . Not looking for any performance . Just good for cruising and lots of highway trips.

Not the same car this 1975 2 door dart if you must know . It's green , it has 4 15" wheels .

I work on lot of projects that aren't my own cars.
Are you sure about the engine being a 198 leaning tower of power??? The converter catalog I have lists only an 11" converter for the 225 engine, but no mention of a 198" engine. It is listed for 225 engines 1968 and up.

Are you sure about the engine being a 198 leaning tower of power??? The converter catalog I have lists only an 11" converter for the 225 engine, but no mention of a 198" engine. It is listed for 225 engines 1968 and up.
I don't know what guy said . I mean my 71 has 198 . They are the same though. Can't even tell from casting number all 198 still have 225 casting apparently. Maybe it was swapped with donor Motor at some point o don't know .

I don't know what guy said . I mean my 71 has 198 . They are the same though. Can't even tell from casting number all 198 still have 225 casting apparently. Maybe it was swapped with donor Motor at some point o don't know .
I know what you mean. Like I said before, my catalog only lists the 225. I went to a converter builder in I think it was New Hampshire, and they list the converter as for a 318 and a 6 cylinder. From that, it would appear both builders are saying that the 6 banger only has one converter (other than a lockup) from 1968 and on. There are two listed, both 11" in diameter. One has a stall speed of roughly 1800-2000 and the other 2200-2400 rpm. I don't see any stock 10" converters listed by either rebuilder. Hopes this helps.

What would be best for a slant ? For bone stock cruiser ? Over 2000 seems high for a slant but what do I know .

Where are you located in Maryland?

I bet big Charles in Tawnytown could get a known good used one for you. I could give you his phone #
I bet any slant six stock from '68-'76 for converters are mostly the same as long are they are 904 and not lockup.

Let me know,

Thanks

What would be best for a slant ? For bone stock cruiser ? Over 2000 seems high for a slant but what do I know .
The converter for the 68 904 in my converter catalog and others says it fits 318" and the 6 bangers. One being slightly higher in stall than the other. But, they will have different stall speeds depending upon the engine. If your old converter is an original factory converter, it will be unpainted and it may have a decal on it.l The triangular one will have LO STALL printed on it and the egg shaped one will have high stall printed on it. You stated earlier that you didn't want a used converter. I mean no malice towards anyone that is trying to sell a used converter, but with them being a welded together unit, how do you know what condition the inside of it is like? Up to 10 years ago, I worked for a transmission parts supplier that had their own converter rebuilding facilities. Virtually every converter that was cut open, required at the bare minimum a 20 bath in the hot tank. There is material that can only be removed via this method.
If there are no decals left on the converter (they are found on the engine side), then you might find the slightly higher stall beneficial. Contact a converter rebuilder and see what their recommendation is.
Good luck on the hunt.

But does the slant 6 with 904 take a converter that is weighted ? I'm always confused on that . Some these 318 360 slant gets weighted converters and or weighted flex plates . I have stock flex plate ,

Slant 6's are neutral balanced, as are 273/318/340's

The 360 is externally balanced.

Last edited:
-
Back