1975 Dart Front Impact Bumper

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Who can tell me about the front impact bumper system? Is it like the F body where they used a HD shock absorber in a steel sleeve? Has anyone removed it and moved the bumper closer to the body? If so, did it look right with the extended front end?

Why not look for a 73 Dart setup? They made a bizillion 73 Darts! The smaller bumper used the traditional fixed steel brackets. Those can be slotted to tuck the bumper in even closer.
The trick is to find a way to attach it to the frame rails.
In my 74 Duster, I made 2 steel plates from 14 gauge metal, then I welded course threaded nuts to them. I then inserted them into the frame rail, then welded them in place. This allowed me to switch to an earlier bumper for the cleaner look.
If you are married to the idea of working with what you have, YES, the shock absorber setup can be modified. The tubes may have springs inside, I cannot recall the innards. Remove the spring, slide them closer together and weld them in place to keep them secure.

Its not about removing it. I've done that on 2 M bodies with good results. Both were in my shop and I had something to work with. The Dart is something I found online and I am thinking of it as a project. Its the final look of the car that I am most concerned. I'd like to also get rid of the plastic around the bumper for a cleaner look. how about a few pics so I can see some different angles and plan out a strategy?

-
Back