1976 dart slant 6

-

NewbieJay

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new here and I just got a 76 dart sport that I'm thinking of putting a slant six with a turbo into her. Do you know what year motors are the best for my application? I'm looking into local salvage yard and the internet for my purchase. Thank you for your time.

Okay I was just looking at oil pans. Can I use any /6 from 67 to 76?

Hey all. I'm new here and I just got a 76 dart sport that I'm thinking of putting a slant six with a turbo into her. Do you know what year motors are the best for my application? I'm looking into local salvage yard and the internet for my purchase. Thank you for your time.

Okay I was just looking at oil pans. Can I use any /6 from 67 to 76?

The sad fact is that the ONLY head available to us mere mortals, that fits a /6, was designed for the 170 motor, and though you can make a fast car using that head and a normally-aspirated 225, it's a lot easier and probably cheaper, to use some sort of forced induction on it. A well-engineered turbo /6 turbo motor can make 300 HP pretty easily without breaking the bank.

Three hundred horsepower (according to the online Wallace Racing Calculators) will push a 3,000 pound car 106 MPH in the quarter mile, in 12.55 seconds. Not a bad street ride, methinks. My warmed-over 340/'64 Valiant was never quite that fast...

If that's not quick enough, lots more is available. There are 10-second /6 cars that run 127 MPH in the quarter, if you want to spend that much.

My partner and I are newbies at this game, and were trying to get educated, and spotted a couple of cars that looked interesting, so we just built a copy-cat car (with some minimal mods) in hopes of climbing to success on their coat-tails. They both make around 500 horsepower.... we'd be lucky to get anywhere CLOSE to that...

We have't yet got our car running, but here are a couple of pictures of it, under construction.

We both have V8 cars, but wanted to try something different.

I believe the early model engines have forged cranks, which might be an advantage if you plan to run considerable boost, later on. I'm not sure when the cast cranks came along, but they have less bearing area, too. That may, or my not matter at all; as I said I am a rank newcomer to all this.

I think you won't have an oil pan fitment problem....

Attachments

• js640_frednme.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 134
  • js640_js640_turboside.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 144
  • js640_Sidevue.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 139
  • scan0043.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 142
  • valbert1-7.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 136
Agreed!

I believe the early model engines have forged cranks

Every slant-6 made from the first one in late 1959 through the middle of 1976 production had a forged crank. The cast crank was a midyear-'76 introduction.

Agreed!

Every slant-6 made from the first one in late 1959 through the middle of 1976 production had a forged crank. The cast crank was a midyear-'76 introduction.

Thanks for the info, Dan!

My partner and I are newbies at this game, and were trying to get educated, and you have helped a lot!

Wow thanks for all of the info. That's a beautiful motor you have there. You've really got the gears in my head turning. Thanks again for the info. I'm new to the mopar game but I'm learning.

-
Back