1976 Scamp Ignition

-

daginsu

Noob Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm still in the middle of planning my first car project when tax and bonus money come my way in a few months. I'm 32, but I guess it's better late than never right? :)

I have a 1976 Scamp with a 2bbl 318, and my question is with installing a 4bbl carb/intake, a mild cam, headers, and if money allows "302" heads with 1.88/1.60 valves and some gasket matching/mild porting will I be ok with my factory ignition system?

I've read that 1976 is either the 1st generation of the lean burn or just some 1-year-only ignition system that is the predecessor to the lean burn system. I have also read that replacing a lean burn system is a good idea, but I'm not even sure if that's what I have. Will the 1976 ignition system be ok for my short-term plans?

Any help is appreciated.

I wasn't paying attention during the "lean burn" years. But if you have it, I'd be for getting rid of it.

Working on memory here, lean burn distributor will have two sets of wires coming out of the distributor, one set on each side, while a standard electronic will only have one set.
And do you have a picture of the engine compartment, the difference is is obvious.

'76 was the first year Lean Burn was available, but that doesn't mean your '76 car has it. Look for a control module hanging off the side of the air cleaner housing. If it's present, the car has Lean Burn. If it's absent, no Lean Burn. Another clue is to look at the distributor. If it has a vacuum advance and one 2-wire primary pigtail, it's non-Lean Burn. If it has no vacuum advance and has two 2-wire primary pigtails, it's Lean Burn.

Ok, thanks everyone. I'll check tonight and see if I can determine what it is. If all else fails I'll take some pics and post them.

'76 was the first year Lean Burn was available, but that doesn't mean your '76 car has it. Look for a control module hanging off the side of the air cleaner housing. If it's present, the car has Lean Burn. If it's absent, no Lean Burn. Another clue is to look at the distributor. If it has a vacuum advance and one 2-wire primary pigtail, it's non-Lean Burn. If it has no vacuum advance and has two 2-wire primary pigtails, it's Lean Burn.

Thanks Dan, you just confirmed that my memory is correct.

-
Back