198 Trouble Starting

-

fefferman

Reaction score
I bought my 70 Duster with a 198 Slant 6 last year and the owner said it would turn over but it wouldn't fire. I can get it to turn over but with no fire. I'm sure the carb needs rebuilt, but it is getting fuel down the throat. It also is getting spark to the plugs. I haven't checked the timing yet, but when we checked the cylinder compression (we were getting 75-80) we noticed that there was no sign of fuel getting to the cylinders. So, with that info, we shot a little gas into two of the cylinders and she fired, briefly. No start of course but it did fire. So, where do you think I need to go next? Could a leak at the intake gasket cause my trouble? I am planning a long rod 225 in my future, but I would like to get 'er running (if nothing else to prove to my wife it really was a good investment!).

I have seen dirt dopers or mice fill the intake up in some intakes if it has been setting.
Have you taken the carb off yet?
And I had a friend of a fried that could not get a new motor started and they called me and I checked everything out and pulled the plugs and used a straw to put a little 30 sae oil in each spark plug hole and spun it over a few times and then put the clean plugs back in and they thought I was crazy till they herd it start right up.
I would pull the carb off and make sure you don't have something in under the carb.

Just my pennies worth.

Hope all go's well.

I pulled the carb off and there doesn't seen to be anything blocking the intake (at least as far down as I can see), but there is a film of black gunk, and I did notice a slow but steady stream of gas pumping out the back of the gasket between the carb and the intake manifold. I assume I am not only leaking gas but air as well. I need to get that replaced and see where that gets me. Any other tips???

On a motor that has been sitting go ahead and take the spark plugs out and let the starter get some oil to the top.
Just 15 seconds at a time so you don't get the starter hot.
Is it a hydraulic lifter motor?
Go ahead and take the valve cover off and watch the rockers and make sure you don't have a problem with a rocker not moving.
And remember to enjoy the time you get to spend with your duster.
I am a old school shade tree guy so maybe a good tec can jump in here and help. Have you got the timing set?
keep the spark plugs clean and set your points or air gap if it is electronic.
If you have been putting gas down it very much I would just pick up a new set and give them a try. Hang in there you will get it.
Just be careful with the gas and sparks OK!!

And yes a bad vacuum leak will hurt it from starting up.
Get a new gasket and new plugs, Gas fouled plugs will not fire up.

I got the gaskets today and replaced the carb to intake gasket and it still leaked. UGGG! I completely removed the carb and it has a crack just under the bowl on the side (it is a 1bbl holley 1920). So, I was wondering, should I get a different carb (there is one on ebay with the same part number, but it calls for a different application it is ebay item 280242921902 if ya wanna check it out) or try to find a 2 bbl adapter plate and just use my newly rebuilt 2bbl on it? I looked but didn't find any info on any other threads concerning the adapter plate and how well it works. ( I didn't have 2 weeks to check them all out!) I have a 2bbl intake but don't have any of the linkages to go with my manual tranny so thats out for now. Any thought??

-
Back