1983 Plymouth Scamp GT, Turbo II AWD project

-

74Dusted

Stock Piler of 340's
Reaction score
This is my '83 Scamp GT, half car, half truck (Cruck), 100% WTF. 1 of only 1,200 ever made, and 1 of only 130 that were ordered with a 3-Speed Automatic. I bought it from the original owner (the owner of the local Chrysler Dealership) for $50 in late 2003/early 2004

It sat in storage in an old barn for 8 years, until I decided to move a truck load of parts that I had stacked on top of it for many years. I pulled it out of the barn earlier this week, and drove it across my property to the shop during my lunch break today. 1 Rear Drum (E-Brake/Shoes) is locked up, and the car drug that wheel the entire time, mud flung everywhere (it rained all night and morning).

I figured it'd make an awesome Good Weather Driver. Even though it's AWD, I wouldn't feel right driving it in the snow, simply because it'd be next to impossible to replace it with an identical Scamp if something happened to it. I originally planned on converting the Cruck to a 5-Speed, but I'm going to keep the 3-Speed Automatic in the car, because it was one of the rarest options on the Scamp GT (and regular Scamp as well. Even regular Scamps are rare, they made 2,300 regular Scamps and 1,200 GT's. One year only) It's not completely original, the AWD was a conversion I did years ago using Caravan parts, but it could be reverted back to stock if I ever wanted to do that.

I may not even finish the Turbo II conversion, I may keep the original Engine Block in the car, and set it up to run a vintage Direct Connection Supercharger instead. The Turbo II idea was from nearly 10 years ago, as a teenager the Turbo sounded like a great idea. A slightly older me thinks the original engine with a Blower would be cooler :D

I need to reconstruct the Fiberglass Frame that goes inside the Nose Piece/Bumper, it was broken before I got the car years ago. And I'll have to replace some of the interior (mice and squirrels ate a lot of it), fortunately I saved a pair of seats from an Omni, along with some of the missing parts for the Scamp too. I have new E-Brake Cables coming in tomorrow to replace the old ones, and I need to order a roll of Brake Line and some rolls of Fuel Line to replace all the lines under the car. Then I need to pull the gas tank and clean it out real good and replace the rear shocks.

As far as the body/subframe goes, its in surprisingly good condition except for some sections of the rear quarter/wheel arches (which I cut those sections from an Omni, to repair the Scamp).

I plan to paint it the same (factory) Color, and try to track down an NOS set of Scamp GT Stripes for it. The car was repainted once before in its life, and generic pinstripe was installed on it (probably because reproduction or even NOS stripes were impossible to find even back in those days). The original GT Stripes are long gone and nobody reproduces them.

It was a well optioned car (A/C, Tinted Windows, Power Steering, Automatic w/ Center Console, Cargo Rails, Tonneau Cover, etc). A lot of the stuff is missing pieces or no longer there though. The Tonneau Cover was gone when I bought the little Cruck, and some of the A/C components were gone (I pulled those parts from an Omni), couple pieces of the center console were missing too (salvaged those from an Omni)

-
Back