1985 D150 SWB 904 to 727 swap, need driveshaft length!!

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Going from 318 with 904 and 9-1/4 rear to 727. Trans is out of a 78 LRE, with matching convertor.
Anybody know for sure the length I need?
Any oddball stuff to look for or avoid?
Suitable donors besides SWB 72-92 pickups? (Rare in Texas junkyards)
2WD Ramcharger is same? (Pretty sure, but never hurts to ask)
Vans?
Later models?

This help?
Just FYI, if you are going through all this anyway, would it be reasonable to go with a 46RH (727 Overdrive, AKA A518) instead?
They can be gotten out of pre 96 Vans and trucks and would be identified by a 3 connector plug on the drivers side of the trans back by the rear of the main case and a larger around tail shaft section.
I got my OD trans for $125 and that included the converter and large joint yoke.

MOPAR_TRANS_DIMENSIONS.jpg

If you just need a drive shaft, look into getting one made. I was shocked at how cheap it was. I used a drive shaft shop in Springfield, Missouri, and they told me how to measure it, they did the rest and at the time (ten years ago) it was under a hundred bucks to modify my existing drive shaft.

Iirc they recycled my ends and grafted them onto a new tube.

Are yokes/ input shafts different between 727 and 904?

Last edited:
Slip yoke are different between 727 and 904,727 has more splines. ...
Just have your driveshaft shortened by a driveshaft shop.
Your rear u joint already bolts up to your rear end.
Slip yoke in the front can be purchased thru any drive shaft shop....
Try inland truck parts on hwy 290.
Maybe there is a DTS out your way,we got one in buda....Just avoid Scotty's on airport,new owners...
Be sure and measure from back of tranny to rear yoke as shown above with all four wheels on the ground !!!

727 is approximentley 4 inches longer, slip yokes are different, I'm pretty sure I used a drive shaft from a 75 Cordoba with a 400/727 combo.....kim......

Slip yoke are different between 727 and 904,727 has more splines. ...
Just have your driveshaft shortened by a driveshaft shop.
Your rear u joint already bolts up to your rear end.
Slip yoke in the front can be purchased thru any drive shaft shop....
Try inland truck parts on hwy 290.
Maybe there is a DTS out your way,we got one in buda....Just avoid Scotty's on airport,new owners...
Be sure and measure from back of tranny to rear yoke as shown above with all four wheels on the ground !!!
agree w/ the above, just measure it and have one cut down or built. No problems !

Pulled a driveshaft from a truck with 727 yesterday and stuck it in truck with a 904 at a pull a part yard. Seemed to fit fine. Anyway, thanks for the help yall.

Found a 92 truck with a roller 360 LA...REALLY tempted to go back and get that engine, lol...

Pulled a driveshaft from a truck with 727 yesterday and stuck it in truck with a 904 at a pull a part yard. Seemed to fit fine. Anyway, thanks for the help yall.

Found a 92 truck with a roller 360 LA...REALLY tempted to go back and get that engine, lol...
BS maybe stuck it in a A518, 46RH, 46RE transmissions won't fit a 904.

BS maybe stuck it in a A518, 46RH, 46RE transmissions won't fit a 904.
Yeah, I'm literally in the middle of this swap and there is an almost half inch difference in yoke diameter, i highly doubt you put a 727 yoke into a 904, they just don't fit. Nor do the driveshafts, must be shortened, about 120$ to shorten and another 120$ to balance(at least here in canada)

-
Back